Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 11:23 PM

Default Is it good to stay in the red zone?

Sometimes I think it is advantagous to maintain an M of 5 or less. That way, you can make EV+ pushes with marginal hands and more EV+ pushes and calls with big hands.

I don't think it is necessarily worthwhile to make marginal pushes with like 9xBB with a small ante or no ante. If I get blinded down, I will have better opportunities.

Some will say you can't win a tournament as a small stack. However, a lot of daily live tournament and online tournaments on some sites have fast structures so that everyone at the final table is short stacked.

Of course you don't mind doubling up and becoming a bigger stack. However, as a medium stack, you have to more wait for big hands. As a short stack or a small stack, you can play more aggressively.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:27 PM

Default Re: Is it good to stay in the red zone?

Yeah, why be at 10xBB when you can be at 5x and double up. Beta-testing something for your guide?
Old 10-24-2005, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, why be at 10xBB when you can be at 5x and double up. Beta-testing something for your guide?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it is better to be at 10xBB than 5xBB, but you can't make many plays with 10xBB, so it may not be worth a lot of risk to gain or maintain that stack. Without a big ante, 10-20xBB is not the easiest stack to play. I am serious.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:36 PM

Once someone calls your EV+ push and you double up, your 5bb stack just became a 10bb stack - the medium stack you're claiming you don't want to be.

How useful is it to wait to get blinded down to 5bb before you make your move to become 10bb again? Just to wait to get blinded down again?

You're probably just thinking way over my head here.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:37 PM

i know that any time i get out of the red zone i like to raise then fold the flop when checked to me to be sure to get back there fast
Old 10-24-2005, 11:39 PM

yeah. sometimes i think its better to have an M of 2-4 rather than like 5-8.

obviously not better in the sense that your chances are better of placing high with less chips. but i certainly think they're better in terms of BB/hand win rate. the 5-8 or 9 range kind of sucks in terms of playability. when you have a big stack you have more options, and when you have a small stack you have the AI option thats often a +EV play. in between you do'nt have much at all.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:42 PM

You're confusing easy to play with having greater EV. It's easier to play a shorter stack because you have fewer options.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:44 PM

...yeah, I know what I want when I have 8 BB is to fold my way down to 5 so I can play better

Wait, what?
Old 10-24-2005, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What? I have a psychology project due that week and 2 midterms? Oh its no matter, you bitches are finished.

(I just won't sleep for a week)

[/ QUOTE ]

you're simplifying. you have MORE +EV options when you're in red IMO.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're confusing easy to play with having greater EV. It's easier to play a shorter stack because you have fewer options

[/ QUOTE ]

You have more opportunities to play wiht 5xBB than 12XBB. With 5xBB, you only push, whereas with 12xBB, you can limp, raise, or push. But limping and raising are not great plays with 12xBB unless you have a big hand. Your best move with 12-15xBB is to push on a resteal.