Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 02:05 PM

Default For those who play for a living...

I've only been playing actively for about 2-3 months now, but my bankroll shows consistent build, and I've never entered a tourney without getting into the money (once I read 3-4 poker books ;P). I started on .05/.10 tables, and I am currently up to .50/1.00 tables now without much difference in my performance. My question is, where do you "career" players play? I just want to be sure I've actually got competition, and that my game is being tuned for long-term gain.

Sorry if this question has been asked 1000 times already, I'm new here.

Thanks!
Old 07-12-2005, 02:06 PM

Default Re: For those who play for a living...

Do you mean at what limit do the pros play at?
Old 07-12-2005, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My question is, where do you "career" players play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Like what sites?

All of 'em.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:09 PM

I doubt there are any people playing for a living (their only/main source of income) below 4 tabling 3-6 limit or multi-tabling 1-2 NL. Those seem to me the bare minimum to make a living at.

BTW, not that you asked, but since you did mention tourneys, be advised that it is very hard to make a living playing only tourneys as the variance is huge!

BTW(2)Buy 10 more books and get to reading...... it can only help [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 07-12-2005, 02:17 PM

I don't think you need to read that many books. For limit, theory of poker and HPFAP are the only ones i've read in entirety. I've 8 tabled 2/4 for a living for the past 5 months, and currently am trying to move up toward 15/30 FWIW. Posting and lurking on 2+2 is more useful IMO.

-SmileyEH
Old 07-12-2005, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I doubt there are any people playing for a living (their only/main source of income) below 4 tabling 3-6 limit or multi-tabling 1-2 NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

No true IMO. Just remember any really profitable idea will not be discussed on here at length. Do some thinking for yourself as the methods will not be spoon fed to you.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and I've never entered a tourney without getting into the money (once I read 3-4 poker books ;P).

[/ QUOTE ]

Then this is a no brainer for you. You should be spending most of your time playing MTT's. Find the best guaranteed tournies with overlays. Find the best point buy in Free rolls. If you are a good tournament player you don't have to grind away at ring games all day.

But definately at the same time, clear all good bonuses and reloads out there in ring games at the .50/1.00 level where you say you have good results. Think of this play as your base income strategy. The MTT's will be what puts you over the top each month.

Then as time moves forward, once you know you have a base strategy that works for a steady monthly income, you can tweak things up a little at a time.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:40 PM

i just started playing full time after 2 years of playing. i play pot limit and no limit for the most part...online, 4 tables $200 buy in, and live $1/2 pot limit, and $2/5 no limit.

i also play a few hours of limit poker a week, mostly if i'm on gamesgrid and there aren't seats at the no limit tables, and i want the VFP payment for the week. the dealer's choice games there are fun, too....i kick ass at Razz. last night i did play some $3/6 SH on empire for an hour or so (i may do this more often, as the play was pathetic, really).

cheers!
Old 07-12-2005, 02:54 PM

Thanks all...which site(s) do you play at Smiley? I hear PokerStars is the best competition, but I'm not really sure.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:56 PM

Good points/tips, thanks.