Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2004, 02:05 PM

Default A check/raised river

This is a hand I played in the 15-30 at Bellagio yesterday.

2 limpers and sb completes. I check in bb with K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Flop is 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Sb checks, I bet, limper1 raises sb makes it 3 bets and I make it 60. Limper and sb both call.

Turn is the J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Sb now bets right out [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]. I have the 2nd nuts (obviously) and I raise. I figure there is only one A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the deck [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. Both opponents call as though I was invisible.

River puts the K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] onboard. Sb now checks. I check, as I don't really feel too happy about those turn calls.

Limper one bets and now sb raises. Here is where it gets bizarre. The sb tells me he has a set before I make a move to call. Huh?

What's my action?

LGPG,

Babe [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 08-15-2004, 02:22 PM

Default Re: A check/raised river

well, sb MAY have A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or something like that, or perhaps a smaller flush. I think you call and expect her to turn of the nut flush like 50% of the time. sb has shown a lot of strength.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:36 PM

hi babe

no babe, you don't win here. you mucked? no? you didn't muck? hmmmm. well then you called? no? you didn't call?! oh, you're kidding. you called. o.k. calling is fine here.

yeah babe, you don't know the SB very well in this one. calling is almost always correct in this type situation when you know you're beat, but you don't know your opponent well enough to make the laydown. yes, yes. you would have saved a little here, but over the long run, you are far better off calling, and showing a little grit, just to keep them from running over you those times you have a hand that is worth showing down for 1 bet but not two.

yes, yes babe. anytime you showdown the second nut hand, you have shown a little babe grit. you must keep them honest. don't worry babe, you'll get him the next time. it was a he, right? yeah, i thought so.

guy sandbags the nuts....whew.
Old 08-15-2004, 03:45 PM

I think checking the river was a big mistake. This seems like a pretty clear value bet on the river.
Old 08-15-2004, 03:47 PM

Hi Babe,

[ QUOTE ]
I check, as I don't really feel too happy about those turn calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be overjoyed by them. There is too much chance of the river getting checked through for me not to bet. Given the way the river went down, I'm pretty sure 3-betting would be the most profitable course of action.

There are three possibilities:
1. They are playing normally.
2. They are playing too deceptively.
3. SB thinks limper is bluffing.

Love,
Gabe
Old 08-15-2004, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given the way the river went down, I'm pretty sure 3-betting would be the most profitable course of action.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't agree. Even if you hold the best hand, you win the same amount by going for the overcall. When you don't hold the best hand, you save a bet; when you face someone willing to cap without (necessarily) the nuts, you save yourself a lose-lose decision.
Old 08-15-2004, 07:00 PM

3 betting is definitly the best play. The chances of you not having the best hand here are about 1%. The limper isnt going to raise the nut flush on the flop in an unraised pot, especialy a vegas player. He might have a 9 high flush which 95% of the time he wont be able to get away from even for 2 more cold on the river. 3 bet.
Old 08-15-2004, 08:23 PM

Default Re: A check/raised Result

I didn't 3 bet the river for one primary reason: The sb told me he had a set as he was checkraising the river. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] IF he really had a set, why would he tell me when it was highly likely that information would lead me to RAISE rather than call.? THat seemed so strange that I actually thought he had the Ace high flush and was trying to get me to put in another raise so he could win another 2 bets (assuming that limper called as well). Maybe I am over thinking this, but I cannot imagine any other motive from an opponent here.

I called the 60 as did the limper. Sb showed a set of Jacks, I showed my K high flush and the limper folded without a peep.

LGPG,

Babe [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 08-15-2004, 08:48 PM

Hi Babe,

Bet the river and call one raise. If it comes back to you for 2 bets cold, then you have a tough decision. Checking the river cannot be correct without a super-human read.

-Diplomat
Old 08-16-2004, 02:56 AM

I would just pay off and not worry about it.