Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 12-12-2005, 01:02 AM

Default The reason Fantasy Football sucks

This is assuming all leagues run like the one im in. Its my first year so maybe most are different but i wouldnt know.

Playoffs run from the last two weeks of the regular season. I understand why they cant use real playoffs, but the whole system is messed. The problem is that during the most important time for us fantasy football players many of our studs may get rested for the playoffs.

Im thinking fantasy football should work just on record alone. To keep teams interested right through the end simply make the pay structure so that last place pays more than second to last to the eventual winner. It also makes each week feel more valuable.

rJ
Old 12-12-2005, 01:03 AM

Default Re: The reason Fantasy Football sucks

every league i've ever played in has had the championship game week 16. This pretty much solves all problems.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
every league i've ever played in has had the championship game week 16. This pretty much solves all problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even close. The Colts can choose to rest or not playing full time their starters right now. They've clinched everything that needs to be clinched.

The ironic thing that the OP is trying to make the best team win, yet he wanted the champion decided upon record. Why not have the champion decided upon points then? In both of my leagues this year, I was in the top 3 out of 10 in points, but I didn't make the playoffs in either (top 4). A system that truly rewards the best team would be to give the championship to the team with the most points. That of course would take a lot of the fun (and luck) out of FF, as well....
Old 12-12-2005, 01:07 AM

Arent they still resting some in 16?

Also the semis are in 15.

rJ
Old 12-12-2005, 01:10 AM

The Armchair had an interesting article on Football Outsiders which he linked to from here, that had lots of good ideas that solve these problems. Should be pretty easy to find with a search, it was a couple weeks before this season's start. I'm actually going to convince my local FF buddies to switch to his dynasty format next year to solve these issues...
Old 12-12-2005, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even close. The Colts can choose to rest or not playing full time their starters right now. They've clinched everything that needs to be clinched.

[/ QUOTE ]

How often does a team rest players week 16? pretty much never.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:39 AM

I have no problem with the championship in week 16, because NFL teams almost NEVER clinched that early. But that said, if I make the championship in my league and Alexander and Harrison are on the sidelines, I'm going to puke.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:33 AM

It tends to happen at least once a year. Last year: Vick, Dunn, Duckett, Crumpler. This year: Colts and Seahawks.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:50 AM

The real reason Fantasy Football sucks is that a team can finish 2nd in points(my team) and finish 5th and miss the playoffs to a 4th place team who scored the least points in the whole league.(12 team league!!!)
Old 12-12-2005, 11:37 AM

I dunno...I like the luck/skill combo that FF has. It's a lot like poker in that regard.