Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 03:06 PM

Default What to do in life?

Hello all. I am 34 years old (single with no children) and for the last year I have been permanently disabled (on SSDI and long term disability). I have a degenerative neuromuscular disorder that has caused me to lose most of the strength and sensitivity in my arms, legs, hand and feet. I can still walk, write and use a keyboard, however I am very slow at doing all three.

My purpose in posting this is basically to get comments, input and ideas, etc. from people I don't personally know. Things like "what would you do in a similar situation" and what others you have known may have done in similar situations. I especially value input from persons in similar situations. I am basically looking to expand my outlook on life in general, I guess.

I am unable to work, luckily my disability income covers my expenses. I have adequate savings to invest, so investing is definitely something I am interested in (not stocks & bonds).
Old 10-04-2005, 07:28 PM

Default Re: What to do in life?

I'm sorry about your situation- I cannot say I'm in the same boat.

Investing in mutual funds has shown a great profit for me. I think it's a great idea if you have a chunk to invest and don't have to touch it for many years. Franklin-Tempelton is the one I chose.

Also, as a side note, switching to an organic diet and perhaps getting a colon/body cleanse will make you feel physically better.

Good luck.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:43 PM

Read up on private placement programs if you're able to get in onethey are a huge money maker. If you're not able to get in one read up on 4x trading. Good luck.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:31 PM

. . .
Old 10-05-2005, 04:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hello all. I am 34 years old (single with no children) and for the last year I have been permanently disabled (on SSDI and long term disability). I have a degenerative neuromuscular disorder that has caused me to lose most of the strength and sensitivity in my arms, legs, hand and feet. I can still walk, write and use a keyboard, however I am very slow at doing all three.

My purpose in posting this is basically to get comments, input and ideas, etc. from people I don't personally know. Things like "what would you do in a similar situation" and what others you have known may have done in similar situations. I especially value input from persons in similar situations. I am basically looking to expand my outlook on life in general, I guess.

I am unable to work, luckily my disability income covers my expenses. I have adequate savings to invest, so investing is definitely something I am interested in (not stocks & bonds).

[/ QUOTE ]

Take something you are interested in, and learn as much as you can about it. If it happens that you make some money along the way, great. Otherwise enjoy. Best wishes.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:21 AM

I'm in a similar situation. I'm an unemployed bonus whore + unemployment benefit recipient

I fill my day by listening to music, reading books, cleaning the house, gym + boxing & driving her car around while she is at work 6 days a week.

Man i tell you there are only so many times you can watch Rounders...tough life.

Seriously though just be thankful you're not one of those people who have to get up every day at 6am to sit in an office cubicle 5 days a week. Hell it's bad enough i have to get up to drive her.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:31 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
Hello all. I am 34 years old (single with no children) and for the last year I have been permanently disabled (on SSDI and long term disability). I have a degenerative neuromuscular disorder that has caused me to lose most of the strength and sensitivity in my arms, legs, hand and feet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello rooster, nice to meet you.

I have a couple of questions for you please:

What is your neuromusclar disease called, and when did you know you had it? (from birth or did you feel something was wrong anmd the doc did tests?)

Cheers,
SDM
Old 10-05-2005, 03:11 PM

I would learn how to make my movements as economical and efficient as possible. Are you familiar with movement learning techniques like Alexander and Feldenkrais? It's a pretty interesting area in its own right, you would likely be working to slow down any degeneration and you may have some opportunities to teach or give some guidance to those with similar conditions. Another related area to this is learning how vitamins and other diet supplements effect degenerative nerve conditions.

I can see how you might get sick of this sort of thing as it does not distract you from your disorder, it takes you further into it, but if it interests you I think it could be very rewarding.

regards,

raisins
Old 10-05-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hello all. I am 34 years old (single with no children) and for the last year I have been permanently disabled (on SSDI and long term disability). I have a degenerative neuromuscular disorder that has caused me to lose most of the strength and sensitivity in my arms, legs, hand and feet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello rooster, nice to meet you.

I have a couple of questions for you please:

What is your neuromusclar disease called, and when did you know you had it? (from birth or did you feel something was wrong anmd the doc did tests?)

Cheers,
SDM

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the response. The answer to you question is a long one. I put together a small website that explains what you are asking. It can be found here.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:33 PM

Thanks for the response.

[ QUOTE ]
I would learn how to make my movements as economical and efficient as possible. Are you familiar with movement learning techniques like Alexander and Feldenkrais?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have not heard of this. Can you tell me where I can find more info?

[ QUOTE ]
Another related area to this is learning how vitamins and other diet supplements effect degenerative nerve conditions.

I can see how you might get sick of this sort of thing as it does not distract you from your disorder, it takes you further into it, but if it interests you I think it could be very rewarding.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have looked into vitamins, etc. Such as Alpha Lipoic acid and CoQ10. I think the most important thing is to eat right, get adequate rest and activity, etc. My big thing now is trying to cut down the number of meds I take.