Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2005, 07:57 PM

Default Heads up KCL

Hi,

For various reasons, I am about to have a mixed games deathmatch with someone. There will probably be NL KCL. So, I have two questions:

(1) how much of an edge does a mildly experienced KCL player have over a relatively inexperienced one? and how does this edge compare to edges you might have in other games played HU?

(2) what strategy adjustments do you make for HU KCL vs., say, cash-game KCL?
Old 08-07-2005, 08:52 PM

Default Re: Heads up KCL

I've played very little KCL, but in the past week I've played about an hour and a half's worth of HU KCL v. two different players, why I had these extended matches I dont know, I just wanted to play I guess.

1.) Your edge can be massive against a somewhat inexperienced KCL player. Even if they know the rules and a math thing or two, it wont take long for your edge to show through. Watch to see what they stay pat with, how rough they'll call on the end, what they'll call with preflop, once you figure these things out, you can exploit them pretty easily. I think the edge is quite large compared to other games, but that may be just because very people know how to play this game.

2.) The importance of having the button seemed amplified greatly to me when I played. You'll be betting and calling with hands you arent exactly comfortable with a fair amount of the time, and you really want to control pots as much as possible.

I've played much more HU KCL than full ring, so I dont know though. The biggest thing for me is figuring out how high he can be pressured to call, so you can make a lot of really thin (maybe not) value bets with hands you'd hate betting after the first draw in a full ring game. Against some guys, a smooth J can be a great value betting hand HU.

Also, unlike full ring, it may be to your advantage to limp with a lot of good hands on the button, if he folds to a raise a lot. Some players will call anyways so go ahead, but if hes the type to respect your raises and only call with good hands, you miss out some value with them on the river.

JMO, I gotta go but Ill try to write a few more things later.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:55 PM

Default Re: Heads up KCL

Heads-up KCL is in a league of it's own. I play this quite often heads-up, so I may have some advice. Against inexpierienced players, pat Q and J highs are good for just a call and no raising before and after the draw, unless they check after the draw. Smooth J's are worth raising and standing pat with. Good aggresive hands are 10 and 9 one card draws, especially if its 10-7, or 9-6. Any pat 10 and 9 are really good aggresive hands, and 8's are great. If you ever make a 2 card draw, always have at least 3 card's to an 8 low, with one of those having to be a 2 and a 3,4,5, or 6. I don't really draw 2 unless they draw 2 and I have a really good drawing hand, or if they draw 3. Another thing, be very aggressive with lots of hands, because aggression is key. If your opponent draws 1 or more cards than you after the draw, always raise with any marginal hand. Chances are their hand isn't as good as yours. GL in your game. I hope this will help. Let me know if it does. Thnx.