Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 12:35 PM

Default Folding trips on the turn....and flop play?

Opponents are unknown.

Lead this flop? Checkraise the flop? When there is a bet and a caller, do I just call flop and try for turn checkraise?

Turn fold?

Party Poker 3.00/6.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (3.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Hero folds
Old 11-23-2005, 12:41 PM

Default Re: Folding trips on the turn....and flop play?

Turn fold = horrible. Getting 9:1 or so you have odds to draw to a full the times he has a flush and you also have outs against a J with a better kicker. You can argue that a river fold would be good if a blank peeled off, but even then I'd be tempted to call against an unknown.

Flop doesn't really matter in my mind. I'm also a fan of the bet/call, c/r line.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:44 PM

Location: For the love of God and all that is holy, MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!

I play it the same. I c/r flop if bet-call or call if last position bets and then donk turn regardless. If it's four handed, i would bet the flop, but three handed i check.

Edit: Hobbs is right, u have 10 outs v. flush, and that's a likely hand.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:49 PM

I would have called on the turn. You have decent outs against a flush, even though it's possible an ace will make MP1 a better boat. Versus a better jack, you can still spike your kicker (3 outs), and you have some outs to a chop, although we don't know how many (heads-up versus QJ, it would be 10; heads-up versus JT, it would be 14). So you could effectively be looking at somewhere in the range of 8 outs versus better trips and whatever MP1 holds.

Versus AJ, you're drawing dead, but I'd take that chance.

Prior to that, I think the flop checkraise is all right. If no one has anything, they probably won't call if you bet, and if they do have something, they're not folding to the checkraise. I'd probably lead, but I think I should checkraise from the blinds a little more often than I do.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:13 PM

I agree with the turn call, and just wanted to add that if there's a time to checkraise trips into to 2 limpers, this is probably it. On this board, we've got as good of a chance as we'll ever have to get a bet from somewhere.

Having said that, there's many draws/backdoors that I really don't want to give a free card to, and I have no idea whether the limpers will bet for me. I usually play in more passive games and haven't played 3/6 (so take my opinions for what their worth), but I'd just lead the flop.