Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 04:50 PM

Default Get over yourselves republicans!!

hee hee, I knew that would grab some attention. now... seriously get over yourselves! Why can't you admit that weed should be legalized, and alcohol made illegal?

Smoking marijuana through a vaporizer makes it cleaner for me to toke than to walk through downtown houston. Drinking alcohol destroys not only brain cells (as does thc) but also internal organs.

Coming from an expert, I have NEVER, and I repeat NEVER seen someone drive badly high. Stoned drivers are more likely to drive uber safe out of paranoia.

When is the last time you heard of a stoned husband beating a wife because she "wouldnt get the capt crunch for me when I asked"?

Alcoholics are a plague on our society, and a danger to all.

Stoners are quiet, keep to themselves, and aid the restaurant industry hugely with "munchies".

Oh yeah, then there's the fact that it relieves terminal suffering, and is a treatment for glaucoma.

gg Arnold Schwarzeneggar. It's just like the Religious Right to be closeminded "because that's the way it's always been".

nh
Old 10-14-2005, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Get over yourselves republicans!!

Weed is still illegal in the US because the alcohol, timber, and law-enforcement industries would be shaken up by its legalization.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:06 PM

Not to mention the fact that cigarette sales would plummet.
It's silly, Im still waiting for American officials to beg Canadian officials to help them with domestic policy.

And to ask why it is that nine tenths of the funniest comics come from Canada... it's embarassing!
Old 10-14-2005, 05:47 PM

I think any adult should be able to consume whatever the hell he/she wants as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else.
Having said that, don't kid yourself.

What are the short-term effects of Marijuana use?

The short-term effects of marijuana use include problems with memory and learning; distorted perception (sights, sounds, time, touch); difficulty in thinking and problem solving; loss of coordination; and increased heart rate, anxiety, and panic attacks.
THC in marijuana is strongly absorbed by fatty tissues in various organs. Generally, traces of THC can be detected by standard urine testing methods several days after a smoking session. In heavy chronic users, traces can sometimes be detected for weeks after they have stopped using marijuana.

What are the long-term effects of Marijuana use?

People who smoke marijuana often have the same respiratory problems as cigarette smokers. These individuals may have daily cough and phlegm, symptoms of chronic bronchitis, and more frequent chest colds. They are also at greater risk of getting lung infections like pneumonia. Marijuana contains some of the same, and sometimes even more, of the cancer-causing chemicals found in cigarette smoke.

Effects of Heavy Marijuana Use on Learning and Social Behavior

Marijuana affects memory, judgment and perception. Learning and attention skills are impaired among people who use marijuana heavily. Longitudinal research on marijuana use among young people below college age indicates those who use marijuana have lower achievement than the non-users, more acceptance of deviant behavior, more delinquent behavior and aggression, greater rebelliousness, poorer relationships with parents, and more associations with delinquent and drug-using friends.

Effects on Pregnancy

Any drug of abuse can affect a mother's health during Some studies have found that babies born to mothers who used marijuana during pregnancy were smaller than those born to mothers who did not use the drug. In general, smaller babies are more likely to develop health problems.
A nursing mother who uses marijuana passes some of the THC to the baby in her breast milk. Research indicates that the use of marijuana by a mother during the first month of breast-feeding can impair the infant's motor development.

Addictive Potential

A drug is addicting if it causes compulsive, uncontrollable drug craving, seeking, and use, even in the face of negative health and social consequences.
While not everyone who uses marijuana becomes addicted, when a user begins to seek out and take the drug compulsively, that person is said to be dependent or addicted to the drug.
Some frequent, heavy users of marijuana develop a tolerance for it. Tolerance means that the user needs larger doses of the drug to get the same desired results that he or she used to get from smaller amo
unts.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:52 PM

alcohol shouldnt be illegal lol!
Old 10-15-2005, 08:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think any adult should be able to consume whatever the hell he/she wants as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else.
Having said that, don't kid yourself.

What are the short-term effects of Marijuana use?

The short-term effects of marijuana use include problems with memory and learning; distorted perception (sights, sounds, time, touch); difficulty in thinking and problem solving; loss of coordination; and increased heart rate, anxiety, and panic attacks.
THC in marijuana is strongly absorbed by fatty tissues in various organs. Generally, traces of THC can be detected by standard urine testing methods several days after a smoking session. In heavy chronic users, traces can sometimes be detected for weeks after they have stopped using marijuana.

[/ QUOTE ]

these are classically held beliefs, but would you be kind enough to back them up with empirical evidence? I am completely and utterly on top of my poker game when stoned, and make the same "A" game decisions I would sober... with my br as evidence. As almost anyone who has used mary jane for a while can tell you, it is possible to "concentrate" somehow (I really dont know how) and come out of the high.

Now, let's compare this to drinking. Short term effects: Inhibition of motor functions, oftentimes vomiting, total loss of psychological inhibitions, and a tendency towards belligerant behavior.

[ QUOTE ]
What are the long-term effects of Marijuana use?

People who smoke marijuana often have the same respiratory problems as cigarette smokers. These individuals may have daily cough and phlegm, symptoms of chronic bronchitis, and more frequent chest colds. They are also at greater risk of getting lung infections like pneumonia. Marijuana contains some of the same, and sometimes even more, of the cancer-causing chemicals found in cigarette smoke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently you didnt read my entire post, or you maybe you just don't know: A vaporizer has an element that heats the herb in question to 400 degrees, but doesnt burn it. the THC is vaporized and smoked, leaving over 95% of the carcinogens in the weed. Oh, and just for the record, over half the carcinogens in weed are water soluble, so a good ol fashioned water bong is nearly as good. Like I said, healthier than me walking through downtown houston.

[ QUOTE ]
Effects of Heavy Marijuana Use on Learning and Social Behavior

Marijuana affects memory, judgment and perception. Learning and attention skills are impaired among people who use marijuana heavily. Longitudinal research on marijuana use among young people below college age indicates those who use marijuana have lower achievement than the non-users, more acceptance of deviant behavior, more delinquent behavior and aggression, greater rebelliousness, poorer relationships with parents, and more associations with delinquent and drug-using friends.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im a hell of a rebellious 21 year old, can't stand authority. My parents and I have a great relationship, and I'm in college, double majoring, and have a 1520 on my SAT's. Instead of just paraphrasing these studies, would you show me some data? Also, I never said I felt it was right for a kid to smoke weed. I doubt you'd find all of those effects on the average pot smoking college student. And again, alcohol has all the same effects.

[ QUOTE ]
Effects on Pregnancy

Any drug of abuse can affect a mother's health during Some studies have found that babies born to mothers who used marijuana during pregnancy were smaller than those born to mothers who did not use the drug. In general, smaller babies are more likely to develop health problems.
A nursing mother who uses marijuana passes some of the THC to the baby in her breast milk. Research indicates that the use of marijuana by a mother during the first month of breast-feeding can impair the infant's motor development.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I really feel like you didnt read my post at all. When did I ever say you should do this when pregnant? Good god, I have common sense.

[ QUOTE ]
Addictive Potential

A drug is addicting if it causes compulsive, uncontrollable drug craving, seeking, and use, even in the face of negative health and social consequences.
While not everyone who uses marijuana becomes addicted, when a user begins to seek out and take the drug compulsively, that person is said to be dependent or addicted to the drug.
Some frequent, heavy users of marijuana develop a tolerance for it. Tolerance means that the user needs larger doses of the drug to get the same desired results that he or she used to get from smaller amo
unts.

[/ QUOTE ]

THERE IS EMPIRICAL DATA TO SHOW THAT MARIJUANA ISNT CHEMICALLY ADDICTIVE! In fact, the "addiction" is more along the lines of cigarette usage, but less so.

Yet again, someone comes to this argument who A)likely has never tried weed B)likely dislikes and feels superior to people who do and C)said the same old lines without any data!

no offense, but you're gonna have to try harder than this, I may smoke, but I dont give up without a fight! [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

oh, and Im not saying alcohol should actually be made illegal, but when comparing the two substances, it would make more sense that alcohol should be.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:17 PM

I agree. Weed can certainly have detrimental effects on habitual users, (but it won't nessesarily have them). Other things can have bad effects... caffine, aftificial sweetners, colesteral, beer...