Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 05:42 PM

Default 7 Card Stud High $5/10 - losing control

All,

Comments on all streets welcome - permission to be brutal. I made a big mess of this hand. Results to come.

7 Card Stud ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 2: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (3.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls___calls
Seat 2: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___raises
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___calls

5th Street - (4.85 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls___calls
Seat 2: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___raises
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises___calls

6th Street - (13.85 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___raises___calls
Seat 2: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___raises
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___folds

River - (20.85 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___checks___calls
Seat 2: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___bets

Total pot: (22.85 BB)
Old 10-14-2005, 05:49 PM

Default Re: 7 Card Stud High $5/10 - losing control

disregard my post. I totally misread the action in this hand. God I am going to get owned tonight I can't even see straight [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2005, 05:54 PM

I play it the same against an unknown.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:39 PM

I like the 4th st final call instead of re-raising. This way, seat 2 will bet into you on 5th & you can get of seat 1. It's dangerous to keep him in with the A, even if it's a little dead. 5th: Opps. Didn't work out. Seat 1 calls 2 BB's cold, knowing yhat you could easily have K's up. Then, seat 2, seeing the show of strength by both other players,still likes his hand. Bad news. 6th: I would check, based on the 5th st analysis. Good final fold.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:45 AM

you put in way too much action with a dead hand against two very promising hands.
Old 10-15-2005, 06:45 AM

How would you play this hand Ray? I see no other way to play it.

Of course seat 2 might well be a favourite on 5th, but he could easily have only a flush draw or an under pair. And how does the other hand look promising? Semi-dead deuces with an ace kicker with one ace gone? Maybe with a gutshot? An under pair? I want all those hands to fold, but they usually won’t fold for one bet on 5th; they just might fold for two bets though.
On 5th, hero could be badly beaten, but seat 2 could be 3-betting for value/ as a semi-bluff with some flush + straight draw combo. I think you have to call.

Granted, 6th should be a check. After seat 1 call two cold on 5th it does look like he’s just made aces up and is scared of a straight.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:20 AM

I don't think that the benefits of getting rid of seat one are worth the extra investment on fifth street. Getting two and possibly three big bets in with a semi-dead pair of kings is close to spewing chips. Check/call here and check/fold sixth as the hand turns out seems to me to be better.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:53 PM

Default Results

Thanks for the responses. I wasn't able to post this weekend so couldn't post results until now. I'm still unsure about my 5th street play, Seat 2 is an aggressive player and I was looking to isolate. Feedback has been that maybe my holding was too dead to make this play compared to other's boards. The bet on 6th was definitely BAD (I thought this was my worst mistake). It's driving no-one out and I don't think I can bet this for value here even if I'm a little ahead. I just didn't think Seat 1 would give a free card here if he wasn't drawing.

Results:
Main Pot: $225.50 | Rake: $3

Seat 1: [ 5s 4d 2s Ad 3d 2h Ah ] [ a straight, ace to five -- Ad,5s,4d,3d,2s ]

Seat 2: [ 9s 3s Js Ts Kc 6d As ] [ a flush, ace high -- As,Js,Ts,9s,3s ]

- MAC
Old 10-17-2005, 01:26 PM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
Seat 2 is an aggressive player

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it’s safe to call him a maniac.

Anyway, it’s ashamed nobody else responded. Pretty interesting hand imo.

I still like the 5th street raise, but that doesn’t mean it’s correct. I guess it depends mainly on the 1 seats hand range. If this was me in seat 1, raising won’t do you much good obviously, but most players are much to loose from the bring-in in my experience.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:44 PM

I would just go ahead and 3-bet on 4th street. If the third player were not the bring-in, it's probably best to wait until fifth to isolate, but since he probably has a weaker hand than if he limped in on 3rd, he will likely fold 4th for two more small bets. (Note: if the bring-in were a good player, I'd be more hesistant because a likely holding was (A2)2, but even this is unlikely given the dead ace.)