Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-17-2005, 10:35 PM

Default New party \"Speed\" sngs

Apologies if this has already been posted on, but it looks like party is starting to offer an even faster sng format. Blinds go up every 5 minutes. Right now I think they're only offering 5+1s. I'm playing one right now and it's crazy. People are waiting as long as possible so we can only get about 3 hands/ 5 minutes.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:44 PM

Default Re: New party \"Speed\" sngs

Cool, I didn't notice this. Well, it appears as though only 5+1 NL and 10+1 Holdem are being offered. That sucks.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:48 PM

Yeah, I assume they'll start offering high buy-ins. The one I'm playing is kind of interesting. More hands with less players, but the first three rounds are over in about 10 hands.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:29 PM

Unless people are stalling it doesn't seem like the levels would be too much faster than regular SnGs. The first two or three levels would probably be faster, but the average SnG length would be about the same. At least it's not like the speed MTTs that party sometimes has.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:31 PM

Yeah it looks cool, but I was just thinking wouldn't you be paying more fees? The tourneys are real fast so this means theres less hands to apply your advantage.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unless people are stalling it doesn't seem like the levels would be too much faster than regular SnGs. The first two or three levels would probably be faster, but the average SnG length would be about the same. At least it's not like the speed MTTs that party sometimes has.

[/ QUOTE ]

A normal Party SNG is 10 hands per level, do you honestly expect 10 hands per 5 minutes with more than 4 players left?
Old 12-17-2005, 11:37 PM

Seems like a luckfest. Low buy in 800 chips with blinds increasing this fast. eh.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:48 PM

My average SnG lasts around 45 minutes and ends in level 8 or 9, so I'm assuming the total time per SnG won't be much different. Unlike on pokerstars where the speed SnGs are at least 2x faster than normal ones.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My average SnG lasts around 45 minutes and ends in level 8 or 9, so I'm assuming the total time per SnG won't be much different. Unlike on pokerstars where the speed SnGs are at least 2x faster than normal ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

my impression as well, except the ones I played lasted an average of 30 minutes. seems as if everyone gets eliminated early quickly, and then suddenly the bubble lasts 10 minutes.

I think that these should end up being about 1.5x quicker than normal sngs. I hope the higher buy-in ones come out soon so that people can find out the profitability of these compared to regular sngs.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:23 AM

The average length is about the same. The early rounds go quicker and the late rounds take longer. This is to our advantage because we have such a bigger edge late with all of our ICM knowledge.