Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 11-28-2005, 12:51 PM

Default Do you think this is a bluff?

This is a $22. No reads.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Button (t515)
SB (t1405)
BB (t630)
UTG (t485)
Hero (t1540)
MP1 (t1225)
MP2 (t825)
CO (t1375)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t450</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB calls t375, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t1050) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t500</font>, Hero ...
Old 11-28-2005, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Do you think this is a bluff?

I'd just have pushed pf. You aren't intending to fold the flop now are you? Especially with 1/3rd your stack in the pot. I push here, for sure. If he has an ace, so be it. Can't really see how you can get away from this.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:01 PM

If you push here, you played it fine.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd just have pushed pf. You aren't intending to fold the flop now are you? Especially with 1/3rd your stack in the pot. I push here, for sure. If he has an ace, so be it. Can't really see how you can get away from this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think this is a bluff? If you think his bet is legitimate, why couldn't folding with ~1100 chips be bad?
Old 11-28-2005, 01:07 PM

There's just too much chance he has a lower pair, a ten, a straight draw or just complete air here. I mean, with two aces on the flop, he's going to think you whiffed, because the chances are you don't have one. I see no alternative to pushing here. If you want to get tricksy you can call and then try to induce a bluff on the river, or something. But I don't see how you can fold.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:12 PM

I don't think you can get away from this. I don't think there are a ton of players at $22s betting into a preflop raiser with trip aces on the flop. I'd expect to see a T more frequently than an A, but that's just me. I push.

-SonnyJay
Old 11-28-2005, 01:34 PM

If you flip flop this situation and you have AQ (or any Ace for that matter) and first to act what would you do? I think I'm check-calling or check/raising if I'm him. Of course he could be very sophisiticated and think that you're thinking that or just a dope that donk bets right in to you.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:39 PM

Interesting hand. No, I don't think he has an Ace...baring a genius "he'll never put me on an Ace if I bet THIS amount". I think he has 77-99 personally. Maybe KT, or my personal favorite - blue JT's. None of which is fun to play OOP having called off close a 3rd of your stack. Dunno...maybe a read of yours would indicate him calling with one of these hands.

Assuming you've decided to not get away from this hand (I have) - it looks to me like he bet precisely the amount he was willing to spend to find out if YOU have an Ace.

Tigerite's idea of not making it that easy on him is an interesting one. He also is retaining 1000ish by folding. He's not calling a push from you here without the Ace. Would he try again on turn if you tanked/called the flop? Doubtful, but considering we are likely only losing to a 2-outer it'd be fun to see if he'd move on the turn for you.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's just too much chance he has a lower pair, a ten, a straight draw or just complete air here. I mean, with two aces on the flop, he's going to think you whiffed, because the chances are you don't have one. I see no alternative to pushing here. If you want to get tricksy you can call and then try to induce a bluff on the river, or something. But I don't see how you can fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially agree with the don't see how you can fold part.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tigerite's idea of not making it that easy on him is an interesting one. He also is retaining 1000ish by folding. He's not calling a push from you here without the Ace. Would he try again on turn if you tanked/called the flop? Doubtful, but considering we are likely only losing to a 2-outer it'd be fun to see if he'd move on the turn for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an interesting idea. Though I think it's riskier than bluefeet suggests (since I think it's frequently 5 outs instead of 2) you may be able to call and see if he'll move in on the turn.

I've only begun to experiment with the idea of calling in situations like this (ie. a push folds all worse hands but I could get him to push with a worse hand if I call) so I don't know if the potential of 5 outs to beat you is too many. It kind of seems like a lot to me but it's an interesting line to take here.

-SonnyJay