Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 12-28-2005, 02:01 AM

Default Re: Stud/8 hand from a total newbie

ok, thanks
Old 12-29-2005, 03:57 AM

Regarding your first hand, I'm curious what the more experienced posters will think of this: Raise third, charging the low draws, since you are the only one obviously playing for the high half, diamonds are dead, and many low cards are spent already, making the deck heavy in high cards.

Also: Double-bet fourth. If seat seven folds and seat one is smart, he will re-raise. Since he didn't, I think you can expect both seat one and seat two to call, and you make money when two low draws put more money in the pot. You have a terrific hand, but you should still consider getting a straight draw to pay extra to draw out on you if you don't fill up.

If this game doesn't allow a double-bet, then never mind the second query.

Am I suggesting a worse play with either of these suggestions?
Old 12-29-2005, 04:41 AM

There's also a King out on third street....

There is no fourth street rule in stud/8, that is, hero can only make a small bet on fourth.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:21 AM

Forgive me. I have been schooled proper. I'll stick to my real areas of expertise, if I ever develop them.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no fourth street rule in stud/8, that is, hero can only make a small bet on fourth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if you're playing on Pacific [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2005, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise third, charging the low draws, since you are the only one obviously playing for the high half, diamonds are dead, and many low cards are spent already, making the deck heavy in high cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still pretty new to stud/8 so this could be wrong. I think that the raise on third is only right if you think you can get it heads up by doing so. A big pair does well against one low draw but against more you get them freerolling on you later in the hand and they back into high hands to often for you to charge them when you have a one way hand. It may be a decent value bet though, I'll run some sims later.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Raise third, charging the low draws, since you are the only one obviously playing for the high half, diamonds are dead, and many low cards are spent already, making the deck heavy in high cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still pretty new to stud/8 so this could be wrong. I think that the raise on third is only right if you think you can get it heads up by doing so. A big pair does well against one low draw but against more you get them freerolling on you later in the hand and they back into high hands to often for you to charge them when you have a one way hand. It may be a decent value bet though, I'll run some sims later.

[/ QUOTE ]

In Split Poker for Advanced Players, Ray Zee suggests limping in with big pairs after a couple low cards have entered the pot.

[ QUOTE ]
You don't want to play against a low hand that has half the pot locked up and also has a draw at the high side. This is likely to happen when many low cards stay in.

[/ QUOTE ]

My sense of this is that you want to see them brick a little on 4th before committing lots of money to the pot, as your hand isn't really all that great if they have 4 to a low on 4th and all you have is a pair of kings (and those kings are obvious).