Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 12-27-2005, 01:04 PM

Default Stud/8 overplayed hand

Playing a pair of aces too fast? i think I made multiple errors on this hand, would just like to know what you guys think about it!

7 Card Stud High-Low ($2/$4), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $1 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.00 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 6: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street - (2.50 SB)

Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 7: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks

5th Street - (1.25 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises

6th Street - (5.25 BB)

Seat 7: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___raises
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___calls

River - (9.25 BB)

Seat 7: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___bets
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

Total pot: (11.25 BB)
Old 12-27-2005, 02:32 PM

Default Re: Stud/8 overplayed hand

I haven't decided if I would muck this on third or not. You have a decent hand, but a ton of your cards are dead. The most important thing though I think, is that there are tons of wheel cards behind you. I guess it would depend on how the table is playing and if I thought I could get in for just the BI or not.

The fifth street raise is perfect IMHO. Seat 7 is almost def just betting his board. This is a good raise.

Sixth street sucks not bc you played it wrong just because he check raised you. Obvious call since you are still drawing to at least half of the pot, maybe the full pot, but it looks like to me this guy could very easily have a flush.

Seventh I wouldn't be paying off unless I improve to two pair or hit my low. I think you need to fold in this spot.

Mike
Old 12-27-2005, 04:19 PM

I think i agree with scags on everything. Third is a tough spot especially with your 7 up against a few wheel cards. The rest looks good except for the river, he has to have one pair beat in this spot.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:41 PM

Thanks, river was a clear mistake after the check raise on 6th. I wondered if 5th was correct given I was raising into a 256 board - if he had one baby in the hole then he would almost certainly have called, but seems people think its the correct play after he showed no strength on 4th?
Old 12-27-2005, 06:51 PM

I think the raise on 5th is right because you can force the 256 out if he doesn't have a low, and since he was the bring in he doesn't have to have much so put as much pressure on him to fold as you can so you don't have to split the pot, plus you might get the 10's to fold.
And you may be ahead of both of them and if your not your not far behind.

The other situation is, the 256 has a low and will reraise and maybe push out the 10's.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:50 PM

Your raise on 5th is reasonable and accomplished getting out the other low possible hand. 6th is questionable though. Villian makes 3 diamonds and 2 low, 7/4 to your 7/6. He has called all bets to this point, showing strength in one area at least. I'd back off here and hope to make either 2 pair or my low on 7th. Then check/call with apprehension. But No, I would not have called his river bet.

JMO - Knoll
Old 12-28-2005, 01:43 AM

Third and fourth are fine. I like the raise on fifth. It should get the potential low out, and it's fairly likely that the bettor has only the Tens.

This is easy for me to say from the comfort of my bedroom, but I would probably check behind on sixth. The other guy stayed in with something, and I have a hard time imagining that he's going to fold now. Giving the dreaded free card is only disastrous when the other guy would have folded to your bet.

I would call the raise and not like it. I cannot see paying off this river with no improvement. When I call on sixth, I'm hoping to hit a low.