Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 12-09-2005, 01:36 AM

Default 3/6 stud 8 wired aces 4th st c/r

i had been playing very aggressive. 7 handed table at AP.

do u like this check raise or wud you just continue to bet?

XX2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] brings in
XX3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] folds
me: (A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] raises

folded to bring in who calls.
(A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] checks_raises
XX2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] bets_calls
Old 12-09-2005, 01:49 AM

Default Re: 3/6 stud 8 wired aces 4th st c/r

Just bet. You completed on third, caught a suited card, and he has seven deuce offsuit. If he bets, he's retarded.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:05 AM

Blumpkin, wouldn't most players bet here thinking their four card low is a favorite (for the low end) over a likely bricked 3 card low?

I'm still not very good at this game, but I think check-raising seems like a pretty good play. His opponents hand obviously has limited scooping potential, so he's basically just charging him the maximum to draw to his low. If he caught something dangerous, check-raising might be a little silly, but the offsuit 7 looks completely benign.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:13 AM

Dammit I didn't see Stud 8 in the title.

Stud high: Bet.
Stud 8: I like the checkraise.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:52 PM

it's an imaginative c/r, though no one could fault you for betting out. now if you catch a big spade and he bricks, you'll probably scoop on 5th, since he'll fear you have trips or a flush .. with less strength shown by betting out, he might have called you down from 4th street on with a small pair or a low draw and sucked out on you.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:52 PM

I like the c/r a lot myself.When you check it to him after catching the apparent bananna,he can't resist betting even with a sub-marginal hand,because he thinks the bet will likely buy him a free card on 5th if he wants it.Then you drill him.Good job.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:18 AM

What's good about the checkraise: a pair of aces is a money favorite over a low draw with weak scoop potential. Checkraise gets money into the pot when you have the equity.

What's bad about the checkraise: it gives the game away, announcing that you have a high hand. In fact your low potential is very limited, and your scoop potential comes largely from the situations where your opponent draws for and misses her low.

Especially with the seven apparently contributing only to your opponent's low potential without threatening a scoop, I like the check-raise some of the time. Maybe make the play one time in three as the circumstance arises. (I just pulled the ratio out of my butt; someone like Andrew Prock could probably calculate the optimum.)
Old 12-10-2005, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's good about the checkraise: a pair of aces is a money favorite over a low draw with weak scoop potential. Checkraise gets money into the pot when you have the equity.

What's bad about the checkraise: it gives the game away, announcing that you have a high hand. In fact your low potential is very limited, and your scoop potential comes largely from the situations where your opponent draws for and misses her low.

[/ QUOTE ]

with aces up on 4th, i'd be more inclined to want to encourage action - what if the opponent had 5572, would you want to encourage action against your one pair? I don't think so, unless this were stud high. Even against 3472, you don't want the player to neccessarily stick around past 5th st. with a 50% chance to snag 1/2 the pot, but with only a smallish pot, i guess you wouldn't mind a call there with a 5th st. brick.

I hope others will disagree with me, explaining to me why that I want action to the river as a slight favorite, as opposed to wishing to scoop a smaller pot? The reason I think I'm right is that one way hands, even these aces which benefit from fewer players, go down in value heads up. Your opponent might have 5572 which is a two way hand, albeit a weak one.