Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 11-30-2005, 04:59 PM

Default Pokerroom $5 rebuy AA hand

about 60 left in $5 rebuy on Pokerroom, 30 pay. ive got 9,000 and blinds 300/600. no reads. how would you have played this one?

EDIT: turn 8 clubs.
utg limps, i raise in utg+1 to 2000 with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], MP calls, rest fold.

flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I check, caller checks.

turn: K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I check, caller bets 2000, i call.

river: K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

check,check.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:12 PM

Default Re: Pokerroom $5 rebuy AA hand

I think you should have led the flop.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:13 PM

do not like checking the flop
Old 11-30-2005, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do not like checking the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I think you should have led the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?
Old 11-30-2005, 05:23 PM

I dont like the free card. Chances are you good you are ahead right now and that turn card sucked. Not sure if the turn is the 8 or 9 of clubs since both were giving but it puts a two way straight draw on the board and a backdoor flush. Checking the flop also gives him control of the situation. I would rather be in charge here and not give him oppurtunity to catch up.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:26 PM

a postflop bet is a must for a made or missed hand. It is a way of gathering information. Since no one without x-ray glasses or some mind reading ability can know what another player is holding, it is imperative that you gather information the only way you can. By betting, raising etc... Observing betting patterns from previous hands as well as taking note of each players image is also a must in gathering information.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:30 PM

Checking the flop is fine. It encourages action from hands you have beat, none of which have many outs against you. A jack, QQ,TT-88. I would bet the turn, especially with the club hitting, but either way - checking the flop is enough weakness, you're definitely getting called by a pair. Having checked the turn, bet 2K on the river to get value from hands that will check behind, having to call a raise but hating it. The same medium strength hands that are willing to bet the turn will usually check behind on the river.

Betting the turn makes it easier to fold to a push, although I'm not sure I would, depending on the opponent. Point being, value betting the river is now really awkward since you have no choice but to pay off a king. Ideally, you'd like to structure the betting to avoid going broke when he has a K. Tough to do this shallow though, so focus on getting value from weaker hands.

Edited to add: With 6K in the pot and 5K behind on the river, I think pushing the river is best *if* he has you covered by enough that he can comfortably call off 5K on the pot odds with a hand like AJ or QQ or even TT-99. Especially if he's the type to call (although you said no read). If 5K would break him, you need to bet less because there are hands he won't be willing to go broke with, even for a 16K pot. Since you're going broke when has a K, you need to get as much as possible when he doesn't. The full 5K if you can, or, more likely 2K-3K. 2K-3K will sort of function as a blocking bet also, because it will be hard for him to raise without a K, and you take away his ability to push you off the best hand because you're obviously committed to calling. Of course, you still have to call the raise because AJ or QQ can make a value raise just often enough that you're stuck.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:37 PM

No way I ever check this flop. I lead it. If he calls, I lead the turn too.

If he raises, I probably give him credit for trips and move on.

The last thing you want to do is give Q10 AQ, or some other drawing hand sucking out on you.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont like the free card. Chances are you good you are ahead right now and that turn card sucked. Not sure if the turn is the 8 or 9 of clubs since both were giving but it puts a two way straight draw on the board and a backdoor flush. Checking the flop also gives him control of the situation. I would rather be in charge here and not give him oppurtunity to catch up.

[/ QUOTE ]

A free card is not a problem on this flop. Even if he has QT that's only four outs because an A fills you up. He can't catch two pair. If he has a J or pocket pair you want to give him a chance to think he has you beat. If he he unpaired undercards, you want him to catch one of his six "outs."

You don't have to check the flop. Depending on your image, a check may be viewed as strength. And you don't have to feign weakness every time you have AA on a paired flop. But you should sometimes.

This idea that you have to bet to get information is wrong too. A check is an action too and can elicit a readable response. What does he think it means when you check? What hands will he bet when you check? These are questions with answers.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:52 PM

I think this is fine. You kept the pot small and you didnt scare off the hands you beat and gave them a chance to put some money in on the turn. I dont like getting too aggressive in this spot because I dont nescesarily want to end up allin with this board.

Any reads on villian? If he capable of bluffing this river? I would have bet 2K on the river as kind of a blocking bet in case villian decides you probably dont have a K or boat because you didnt bet it, and he thinks of bluff-pushing you off the hand. It also serves as a value bet.