Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 11-28-2005, 04:08 PM

Default Another interesting table read - perhaps ($22)

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

MP2 (t730)
MP3 (t770)
CO (t775)
Button (t1700)
Hero (t810)
BB (t790)
UTG (t230)
UTG+1 (t1390)
MP1 (t805)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t30</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to t95</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls t85, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 folds.

Flop: (t235) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 checks.

I was so baffled by his check. Virtually any hand bets here. There are only two exceptions to this. Sometimes, and I want to emphasize sometimes, AK checks here. But otherwise, I think KKK checks here. In fact, I almost wrote "Do you have 3 kings?" in the chatbox. Thoughts?
Old 11-28-2005, 04:10 PM

Default Re: Another interesting table read - perhaps ($22)

Can you please add what the turn was? If we are going to discuss a plan for the rest of the hand (given your thoughts on a read), it would be helpful to know what the turn was.

Also I think this isn't time to get cute preflop in a $22 sng.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:11 PM

I think AK checks here a lot.. $11/$22'ers love to slowplay AK/KK when they hit and overvalue pocketpairs preflop and sometimes on the flop.

Check is definately fishy, but I wouldn't automatically put yourself behind villiain. I say bet out 175 to see where you're at. He might have a PP and scared of the King- or trying to slowplay AK/KK.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:13 PM

hero reraises to ~225 or ~250 preflop. this isn't the wsop, the guy's going to put in a ton of chips with whatever he has.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:26 PM

I'm reraising this preflop. I don't think you're seeing someone who reraises folding to another raise at a $22 very frequently.

Given that you played it the way you did, I can't imagine any turn card making me unwilling to play the hand. I've seen too many crazy plays at these levels that I can't immediately think "set" when I get a check here. You'll definitely see it sometimes, but I don't think it's enough to give up on your hand here.

But again, reraise preflop.

-SonnyJay
Old 11-28-2005, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hero reraises to ~225 or ~250 preflop. this isn't the wsop, the guy's going to put in a ton of chips with whatever he has.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's generally how I play. I just didn't this time. This was a non-standard hand for me.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's generally how I play. I just didn't this time. This was a non-standard hand for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

cool, no worries. i just think there's very close to actually 0 value to mixing up my play in low stakes sngs.

in this spot, if you think his range is AK or KK, put some nice distro on which is which, and play accordingly. there's no shame in occasionally playing a small pot with AA when you've dicked yourself preflop and are out of position and have a bad feeling about the procedings.

might he have played QQ and JJ this way? AQ?

c
Old 11-28-2005, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

cool, no worries. i just think there's very close to actually 0 value to mixing up my play in low stakes sngs.

in this spot, if you think his range is AK or KK, put some nice distro on which is which, and play accordingly. there's no shame in occasionally playing a small pot with AA when you've dicked yourself preflop and are out of position and have a bad feeling about the procedings.

might he have played QQ and JJ this way? AQ?

c

[/ QUOTE ]

I just don't think so. If I put him on a range of hands preflop that makes a raise like this, even a smallish pair like 99 or TT (assuming those are sets also - not looking at HH), I see all of them making a c-bet minimally. Furthermore, I think AK bets here more than 50% of the time. Perhaps as often as 80-90% of the time.

Anyhow, yeah, I can see why playing for a small pot here would be wise when my sensors are going bezerk. I saw the showdown, so I know he had KK. But it was interesting to me. If I had to put %'s to it, I would have said that it was like 90% KK, and only 10% AK. At least, that's how I felt during the hand.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:01 PM

if you're able to put your guy on a range that small, i'd:

1) call only tiny little bets going down unless i improve
2) fold if i felt like it

there's no shame in playing a small pot and there's also no shame in folding if you think you're behind.

aces be damned.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you're able to put your guy on a range that small, i'd:

1) call only tiny little bets going down unless i improve
2) fold if i felt like it

there's no shame in playing a small pot and there's also no shame in folding if you think you're behind.

aces be damned.

[/ QUOTE ]

After the hand, I really had a sense for how to think about playing in situations like these with deeper stacks. It was the first time I've had that kind of epiphany.