Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 03:57 AM

Default Re: Has anyone mentioned that Fischman played great?

heh, you didn't have to take it that way.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:04 AM

Yea how about the 9 5 battle of the blinds hand between fischman and devilfish. That was an insanely good read and NL at its best.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:21 AM

Scott has always impressed me with his play. I really think he's one of the true up and commers of poker, with skills in a variety of games.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know that a lot of people around here seem to dislike him, but I thought he played amazing poker during the $1,500 NL tonight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Scott is a very good player, no doubt about that.

The reason alot of people dislike him is because his best friend is the con man Dutch Boyd. For those who don't know - Dutch Boyd once had an online poker site and he closed it down and ran off with all the players money. A real class act. Now Scott has his own site - thefishtank.com - and I have read people on forums saying that Dutch Boyd is really a part owner of the fish tank and anyone who would put money in a Dutch Boyd site - or a site run by his closest friend is crazy.

So Scott is indeed a good poker player - but he hangs around with people who have cheated poker players out of money and he supposedly has started a website with that person now - that's why some people dislike him.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:04 AM

I also found him very tough to read, bluffing or not, he gave NOTHING away.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason alot of people dislike him is because his best friend is the con man Dutch Boyd.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually the reason I dislike him, as well as every other sucessful poker pro, is that, like, I am totally better than him, and he just gets really lucky a lot.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i taped the show, stopped the tape, rewound it, and still couldnt figure out what the hell devilfish said to him

[/ QUOTE ]
I deleted the episode off my TiVo already unfortunately, but I believe Ulliott said "I guarantee I had the best hand," to which Fischman replied "I'm thinking king-six."

Despite the pose, I'm fairly certain Fischman knew he was beat in that hand and was just trying to goad Ulliott into revealing his hand by talking about junk hands.

Either way, good laydown. But I'm curious as to why Ulliott would run a squeeze play with such a good hand... seems like he left money on the table by reraising all-in there.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:47 AM

Reverse squeeze. Incredible play, nearly got the Fish believing it... Plus his overbets have insane fold equity in cash games now after the broadcast. The guy's a genius.

I love that he said: "If you can't beat 'em join 'em!" after hi5ing the railbirds. Hilarious.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I also found him very tough to read, bluffing or not, he gave NOTHING away.

[/ QUOTE ]

On a similar note, I was shocked to hear Norman Chad actually noticing that Fischman puts his chips in exactly the same way every time. Harrington says that is a major tell players give off and Fischman is well aware of that.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:24 AM

Fischman's flop bet might have looked like he was trying to buy the pot - as many will often do. Having failed to win the bet on the flop, many will check the turn - and often will be perceived as weak, thus enticing their opponent to either bet on 4th street or to put more chips into the pot than they otherwise would have on 5th street.

I think a turn check is quite standard here - I think it might get him a free card the next time he checks after a continuation bet (you'll want to leave doubt in your opponent's minds about what the turn check means in the future - strength or weakness) and he certainly isn't worried about giving a free card. What don't you like about the turn check here?