Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2004, 01:32 AM

Default Chinese poker books

I know this might be in the archives somewhere, and I apologize for not taking the time to look it up. Can anyone provide me with their opinion of Don Smolen's book on Chinese Poker, as well as the software that he also sells? Also, are there any other resources you recommend for learning more perfectly how to set your hands?

Thanks, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 09-12-2004, 01:57 AM

Default Re: Chinese poker books

[ QUOTE ]
I know this might be in the archives somewhere, and I apologize for not taking the time to look it up. Can anyone provide me with their opinion of Don Smolen's book on Chinese Poker, as well as the software that he also sells? Also, are there any other resources you recommend for learning more perfectly how to set your hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

You want to learn Chinese Poker now? Stick to Hold'em; it's not like you're a world champion at that or anything.

As far as the Smolen book, I was under the impression that it was the only book of its kind. If that's true, then it's the best in the world.

~D
Old 09-12-2004, 02:02 AM

When Pokerroom.com first offered Chinese Poker, I bought Smolen's book and software to learn the game. It took me about a day of reading the book and practicing on the software until I was pretty good. I then proceeded to rip through the Pokerroom games until all the suckers had lost interest about a week later.

Smolen's approach to valuing a hand setting is not optimal (nor does he claim that it is), but I'd guess that it will provide you with the best setting a very large majority of the time. And when it gets it wrong, I think it's probably not wrong by too much.

Setting my hands the Smolen way (at least when I didn't screw it up.. hehe) allowed me to tear through the Pokerroom games. Suckers really have no chance in this game. I never came even close to having a losing night.

I don't know in what setting you plan to play Chinese Poker, but the game is just tricky enough that I bet a bunch of people you will play with will screw it up. Even if they are all good, the Smolen way will almost certainly allow you to hold your own while you wait for a different game.

One thing that Smolen doesn't discuss in his book or software is ADJUSTING your setting to take advantage of systematic mistakes your opponents might make. For instance, on Pokerroom, players tended to backload their hand, overloading the back and leaving the front very weak. So a correct adjustment would be sometimes to weaken your front hand a little bit if the weaker hand is still likely to beat whatever your opponents might have up front. Smolen doesn't address this sort of stuff.

I'd say that the software was far more valuable to me than the book. But the book is necessary if you hope to play correctly when you have two pair between the middle and front hands. Learning to do that is extremely tedious, though.

Anyway, AFAIK, Smolen's stuff is the only thing going. If you plan to play the game for any kind of money, it's almost certainly worth $60 (or whatever he charges) and day or two of your time.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:38 AM

Chinese poker is going to be a part of Super System 2 when it comes out soon. I believe that section of the book is being written by Johnny Chan.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You want to learn Chinese Poker now? Stick to Hold'em; it's not like you're a world champion at that or anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the big mixed games, you're playing limit poker. I really don't like playing limit holdem. And actually, I'm not that big a fan of no-limit holdem outside of a tournament setting (although I do like pot limit holdem). So, in these games, I prefer the hi-lo games, and am liking triple draw lowball quite well also. However, you sometimes have to play the games that are being played, and chinese is sometimes one of them. I'd rather learn how to play it well, as opposed to sitting out that round, or playing a losing version of it.

[/ QUOTE ]As far as the Smolen book, I was under the impression that it was the only book of its kind. If that's true, then it's the best in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I'm trying to find out. I also did not know of anything else. Even if it's the only thing out there, I didn't want to study it if it's not a good book. Sometimes bad information is worse than no information at all. ;-)

Old 09-12-2004, 01:33 PM

I would also recommended looking up threads on RGP about Chinese Poker. Pay attention to Negreanu's contributions. He writes about his strategy, and adjusting it to take advantage of the weaker CP players in the big games (setting hands incorrectly). Since I am assuming you will play against Daniel, or other players who have, this might be to your advantage.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2004, 01:56 PM

Hi Greg,

If you order the book or software and don't think it's worth the money, I'll cheerfully send you a refund.

Don
Old 09-12-2004, 02:58 PM

Well, I can't beat that offer. I'll order it right now.

BTW, good timing on your first post here. ;-)

Old 09-12-2004, 04:46 PM

Are you sure thats really him???

StuR
Old 09-12-2004, 06:23 PM

Don - You should give Fossilman a discount because I'll probably buy a copy too.

I looked at your website. Stupid question but how can you play Cpoker with more than four people?

Thanks, Legian