Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2005, 02:00 PM

Default Re: 6 Max SNG\'s

I used to play 6 max SNG's on Pacific Poker as well... But then I came to a realization:

When I play 10 man SNG's, due to tight early play I can simply outlast my way to 6 people left the VAST majority of the time. Now, I think of it as a 6 man SNG where the prize money is much larger.

Of couse, it doesn't always work out that way, but on average, this is why I find 10 man SNG's more profitable.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:43 PM

I was wondering if there was a place that did this. I'll have to take a look. Thx.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:53 PM

I switched over to 6-max $35s pretty much exclusively at stars (username the same) this year. I play about 10 a day. Yes, you cannot 8-table or 10-table them. I usually only 2-table them, 30 minutes at a time (they usually last 45-60 at most, sometimes I can win one in 30 minutes). I really like the structure, because it forces you to play a lot more poker postflop with different hand ranges. With full tables, often times the starting requirements seem very cut and dried, as does the play.

For my money, the players are just worse at the $35s than they are at the 33s full table too.

I only have a few hundred 6-handed SNGS of data, but so far I'm looking at about a 17.5% ROI and a 42%+ ITM (22% 1st, 20% 2nd). Good times. I believe that higher ROIs and ITM are acheivable at the $35s than at the $33s. Also, the rake is less in terms of the percentage, so you're getting more money in the prize pool.

Christ, if I could only get Stars to add a $70 level...I've been emailing them for months and they just keep saying "get more people to write us"
Old 12-22-2005, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like them. Six handed play forces you to widen your range and play poker against players who potentially don't know how to play poker. And, there is less dead money.

[/ QUOTE ]

It just places a much higher premium on reading your opponent and outplaying them postflop, IMO. Sometimes you have to know when to lay some big hands down.

EDIT: That's not to say you don't have to make big laydowns in full tables, I just think postflop play is so much more at a premium on the short tables.