Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 12:49 AM

Default Question for the 2+2 fishermen

Looking at getting a new rod and reel, and I am thinking about getting a baitcaster. How hard is it to learn how to use one of these? All I have ever used are push button spincast reels and openfaced spinning reels. How big of an adjustment will there be? Also, does anyone have any suggestions for a good one under $100? Thanks.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:06 AM

Default Re: Question for the 2+2 fishermen

abu garcia 6500. what are you fishing for?
Old 07-07-2005, 01:07 AM

Ive used baitcasters a few times and I liked them a lot. It took me a few casts to figure it out, but after that it was cake. I dont have any recommendations for specific setups or brands, but you should defintely checkout a local sporting goods store and ask their experts. Good luck
Old 07-07-2005, 01:14 AM

it was pretty easy for me to get used to a baitcaster, but I've been throwing big conventionals for a while now.
where are you fishing, what are you fishing for, and what style (bait, lures (what type), etc).
Old 07-07-2005, 01:17 AM

Im also looking for a new reel and Ive tested out many different ones. Bait casting is not that hard IF you get a reel with brake system, which most decent reels do. The abu garcia 6500 is fine, but I prefer Shimano. Coriolis, Corsair, and Corvalus are all excellent reels with VBS.
"VBS helps 'educate' your thumb until you get the feel of the casting technique. As your thumb 'learns' -- turn off individual weights and watch your casting distance soar."
Old 07-07-2005, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
where are you fishing, what are you fishing for, and what style (bait, lures (what type), etc).

[/ QUOTE ]

I will be fishing in lakes and ponds in KS and MO for bass and crappie mostly. I generally use lures but I do use live bait once in a while. I like using small jigs and in line spinners.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:27 AM

My friends ranch has a nice little lagoon that they keep stocked with bass and maybe bluegill? We used a variety of lures that he had in his tacklebox. All this took place in central california btw.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:39 PM

Default bump

Thanks for the replies so far. Just bumping to see if anyone else has any ideas.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:45 PM

Default Re: bump

Just curious, why the desire to get a different setup?

I love open faced reels.

Have you considered a fly rod? Not sure what type of fishing you plan on doing. (I'll read the other posts now)

EDIT: after reading the other posts, I think a little more info is in order. What are you fishing for and where? Stream, lake, from a boat, on the shore, etc...
Old 07-07-2005, 02:46 PM

given your quarry, and the tackle used to go after them, I'd stick to a light or medium-light spinning reel. you're probably going to want to stick to 4-8 lb test for the bass and crappie, and a lighter rod to throw small jigs and inline spinners. baitcasters this small are a pain and counter productive.

how much are you looking to spend?
just re-read the first post. i'll take a look around the internet to see if I can find some setups in your price range.