Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2005, 08:29 PM

Default Dr. David Duke: Ambassador of Peace?

What do you guys think of this?

Dr. David Duke: Ambassador of Peace?

Amazing Video: http://www.memritv.org/Search.asp?ACT=S9&P1=938#
Old 11-25-2005, 09:02 PM

Default Re: Dr. David Duke: Ambassador of Peace?

David Duke is a slug of a human. In the 70s he used to march on the steps at LSU in a Stormtrooper uniform. In the 80s and 90s he decided to try politics, so he publicly renounced his neo-Nazi and KKK past. After he lost, he put his white robes back on. In the 00s he fled the country, indicted for campaign finance fraud.

Anyone who supports this man should rethink.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:39 PM

astonishing -

Goddamn Nazis.

Didn't he run as a Republican? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

RB
Old 11-25-2005, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
astonishing -

Goddamn Nazis.

Didn't he run as a Republican?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, NO, he actually ran as a Democrat.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who supports this man should rethink.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but they won't.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:42 PM

he's still a goddamn Nazi - numbnut...LOL -

He's a little before my time - I wasn't informed on politics at the time - I think I was a teenager trying to figure out how to get into the holiest of holies.

RB
Old 11-25-2005, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
astonishing -

Goddamn Nazis.

Didn't he run as a Republican?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, NO, he actually ran as a Democrat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually MMMMMM, I'm fairly certain he did run as a repub in Louisiana, although the party backed another repub against him.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:25 PM

you are most assuredly right - he ran as a Republican - after 1988 - This isn't that unusual as a lot of Dixiecrats switched sides after the Democrats were instrumental in pushing Civil Rights Legislation thru.

What did LBJ say when he signed the bill? - He had just delivered the Republican Party all the Electoral College votes in the Deep South for the next 20 years? Lot of cross burners changed sides to the party that looks like white bread.

He was a Democrat till then and he switched parties in '89 - guess all the liberals and gays and Jews were too much for him in our Democratic Party - good riddance, I say.

Here's a wikipedia link - He is definately running as a Republican these days. -

I'm inclined to not tar all Republicans with his taint, but it wouldn't surprise me to see his mentality in some of the good ol' boys down south in lesser ways - (Trent Lott, for example, was known to make some nice racial cracks in his day)

RB
Old 11-26-2005, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you are most assuredly right - he ran as a Republican - after 1988 -

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, that is true; I just looked it up;-)

According to Wikipedia, Duke ran in 1976 as a Democrat, in 1888 as a Democrat, later again in 1988 as a member of the Populist Party, and in 1989 as a Republican. In 2000 he supported Par Buchanan of the Reform Party, thereby embarrassing Buchanan, who "declined to discuss it whenever questioned by reporters" (lol) ;-)

[ QUOTE ]
This isn't that unusual as a lot of Dixiecrats switched sides after the Democrats were instrumental in pushing Civil Rights Legislation thru.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's also true that a lot of Dixiecrats switched sides, BUT I believe you've got one part backwards: it seems the Republicans were more instrumental than the Democrats in pushing through Civil Rights Legislation:

(excerpt)"Civil rights in the '60s? Only 64 percent of Democrats in Congress voted for the 1964 Civil Rights Act (153 for, 91 against in the House; and 46 for, 21 against in the Senate). But 80 percent of Republicans (136 for, 35 against in the House; and 27 for, 6 against in the Senate) voted for the 1964 Act."(end excerpt)

And going back much earlier, the Democrats' record on Jim Crow laws, emancipation, right to vote and other such things was even worse compared to the Republicans:

(excerpt)"Emancipation? Republican President Abraham Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation during the Civil War. In 1865, the 13th Amendment emancipating the slaves was passed with 100 percent of Republicans (88 of 88 in the House, 30 of 30 in the Senate) voting for it. Only 23 percent of Democrats (16 of 66 in the House, three of 8 in the Senate) voted for it.

Civil-rights laws? In 1868, the 14th Amendment was passed giving the newly emancipated blacks full civil rights and federal guarantee of those rights, superseding any state laws. Every single voting Republican (128 of 134 – with 6 not voting – in the House, and 30 of 32 – with 2 not voting – in the Senate) voted for the 14th Amendment. Not a single Democrat (zero of 36 in the House, zero of 6 in the Senate) voted for it.

Right to vote? When Southern states balked at implementing the 14th Amendment, Congress came back and passed the 15th Amendment in 1870, guaranteeing blacks the right to vote. Every single Republican voted for it, with every Democrat voting against it.

Ku Klux Klan? In 1872 congressional investigations, Democrats admitted beginning the Klan as an effort to stop the spread of the Republican Party and to re-establish Democratic control in Southern states. As PBS' "American Experience" notes, "In outright defiance of the Republican-led federal government, Southern Democrats formed organizations that violently intimidated blacks and Republicans who tried to win political power. The most prominent of these, the Ku Klux Klan, was formed in Pulaski, Tenn., in 1865." Blacks, who were all Republican at that time, became the primary targets of violence.

Jim Crow laws? Between 1870 and 1875, the Republican Congress passed many pro-black civil-rights laws. But in 1876, Democrats took control of the House, and no further race-based civil-rights laws passed until 1957. In 1892, Democrats gained control of the House, the Senate and the White House, and repealed all the Republican-passed civil-rights laws. That enabled the Southern Democrats to pass the Jim Crow laws, poll taxes, literacy tests, and so on, in their individual states.
" (end excerpt)

Larry Elder
Old 11-26-2005, 01:28 AM

And lets not forget good ol' Robert Byrd, a man who used the phrase "white nigger" twice in a recorded interview and is a former Klan member, who also filibustered the Civil Rights Act. I feel like throwing up whenever someone refers to him as the conscience of the Senate.