Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION

Old 12-24-2005, 12:09 PM

Default Coach Reviews in Strategy Forums

A frequent poster in the SS Forum is starting to receive some coaching from Ciaffone. He wanted to write up a review after the completion of the coaching session. He asked me if would be acceptable for such a review to be posted in the SS Forum. I told him I couldn't see why not, but I thought I'd throw it out here to see if such posts belong in a different forum.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:38 PM

Default Re: Coach Reviews in Strategy Forums

Q,

Who is this? PM me if you don't want to post it here (or don't if it's not for public knowledge).
Old 12-24-2005, 02:16 PM

I'm against this. It's free advertisting for Ciaffone, and it's possible he even suggested to his student to do as much.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:51 PM

I personally have no problem with this. I highly doubt that Bob would ask someone to post a review here. That just doesn't seem like him. There have been many, many people who have taken lessons from him in the past and I can't remember any who have written reviews.

I don't see how this is too different than someone writing a review of a book, software package, poker room, etc. It seems like it would be helpful to the forum members in the same way as those reviews.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:00 PM

What if it's a bad review? I have no prob;em with this if the assessment is honest.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:42 PM

I don't see anything wrong with posting the review, but I think General HE would be a more appropriate forum than SS.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:07 PM

Hi QTip:

I have problems with it. While Bob Ciaffone is an honest person and would certainly never ask a student to do this as a form of advertising, we also have problems with his limit hold 'em advice. On Two Plus Two we should be steering our readers towards good information and away from questionable information, and based on their book Middle Limit Hold'em by Ciaffone and Brier, I don't feel comfortable in doing anything that may encourage someone to take lessons that in the long run might prove costly to them. So I think it's best we tell the poster that we feel this is a little too close to violating our rule of no advertising in a post.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 12-25-2005, 11:28 PM

Well, this is the final word unless you guys hear otherwise.

This is one of those topics that's easily forgotten, so if it comes up again, and you think it should be revisited be sure to let let us know.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:00 AM

If it comes up again, why not tell the person asking the question that 2+2 simply doesn't think Bob Ciaffone will provide value to 2+2ers. I think to say that it's the advertising rule could complicate other similar matters in the future. It's a bit duplicitous if we allow software developers to post announcements about their products and say that's not advertising but ban supposedly unbiased reviews by third parties (whether about software, books, or coaching). I understand that saying this could cause an issue between 2+2 and Ciaffone. The most honest approach would be to allow a review and if you (Mason) want to comment on the value of Ciaffone's advice then respond to the thread, certainly refering to your review of his books. I'm sure others would also voice their opinion. I've done so in the past where I've essentially said that the little money I paid him was not worth it.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:15 AM

Hi Lloyd:

Actually it's trickier than that. On certain subjects, such as no limit hold 'em and gambling law, we feel that Ciaffone is very good and has a lot to contribute.

Your suggestion of letting the review go and then having us respond to it might be the best solution, but it might also create unnecessary ill feeling when we do think that Bob is a good guy. So I'm not completely sure.

What's the concensus?

best wishes,
Mason