Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 11:14 PM

Default Ah, help me? (3r insane board)

3r, 2nd hour. Villain doesn't seem like a player who can resteal with air. He's got something, so I'd put him on a range of 99-AA, AK-AQ, maybe AJs (they really like that hand in the 3r).

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed) converter

Button (t18480)
SB (t39620)
BB (t9775)
UTG (t7305)
Hero (t13125)
MP1 (t35970)
MP2 (t7995)
MP3 :#A500AF(Villain)/ (t8820)
CO (t7195)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t800</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 :#A500AF(Villain)/ raises to t2000</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls t1200.

Flop: (t4300) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Villain checks.

Turn: (t4300) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets t2800</font>,

Hmm. I dunno.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:30 PM

Default Re: Ah, help me? (3r insane board)

Tough spot, I think you either push or fold here. I'm probably folding and finding a better spot.

Just me though.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:30 PM

i really dont want to fold.
I think i call the turn and call the river whatever he bets. It's a 3r, people do weird crap.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:33 PM

I think a call is best because a raise folds out a lot of hands that we beat that are drawing dead/4 outer. I don't consider folding to be an option.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think a call is best because a raise folds out a lot of hands that we beat that are drawing dead/4 outer. I don't consider folding to be an option.

[/ QUOTE ]

And what's your plan for the river?
Old 11-29-2005, 11:37 PM

I think just calling is bad. He's going to put you all in or close to it on the river anyway. What then? Just call? Better to put yourself in then let him slowly put you in.

I don't think CALLING is an option.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:48 PM

In the $3 rebuy, with that action, you are beat here 95% of the time. Micro players don't reraise EP raisers from MP with JJ and TT, and players at this level almost always slowplay their monsters.

Two generalizations for sure, but you don't see 99-JJ often enough here. I fold.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And what's your plan for the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, also a call for basically the same reason; we're way ahead, so I hate to fold, and villain's not a raise caliing with many hands we beat, so I hate raising.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:56 AM

why did you check the turn? if you weren't planning on check-raising, you should have just led the turn. check-folding to an approx. 1/2 pot-sized bet when you hit your boat seems puke-worthy to me.

given your read, leading the turn with a bet is the only play that really makes sense to me. that way, you can somewhat confidently fold to a raise since (assuming you read him correctly), the villain isn't going to raise the turn with anything less than Kings full.

once you've checked the turn, i think you have to, at the very least, call down to the river. you've got the villain covered by a wide margin and even if the villain ends up putting you all-in and you're beat, you've still got over 20x BB which is short-stacked at the table but by no means a death sentence.

the only reason i'm checking the turn is to either 1) check-raise or 2) induce a worse hand to continue to bluff at me. i prefer leading the turn (in order to leave myself an escape route) to both of these lines.

i'm nowhere near good enough to check-fold this hand.

p.s. by the way, how did you determine your read on the villain in the first place?
Old 11-30-2005, 01:05 AM

there is absolutely nothing wrong with check-call, check-call here. it certainly beats the hell out of folding at any point. and what good does raising do? what, are we gonna make AQ fold? ppfftt...

the only other line i could see would be check-call turn, bet river (putting villian allin obviously). at that point he may feel pot committed enough to call with some hands we beat that might check the river through (losing us value in the process).