Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2005, 09:31 PM

Default I spent 5 minutes trying to come up with a catchy title for MLG

$3. Just after the first break. I got moved to this table one hand before the break, so I have no reads on anyone. This is ~4 hands after the break ends.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

CO (t8050)
Hero (t3570)
SB (t3150)
BB (t2950)
UTG (t3545)
UTG+1 (t5105)
MP1 (t2625)
MP2 (t675)
MP3 (t775)

Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Folded around to CO who raises to 320.

I repop to 900, planning to call a push.

Is this reckless? I'm ahead of his raising range here, but am I ahead of his pushing range? If he's pushing TT+, AKo, AQs+, I'm like 45/55. I didn't think about that at the time, of course.

How horrible is popping it to 900 and folding to the push?
Old 11-06-2005, 09:43 PM

Default Re: I spent 5 minutes trying to come up with a catchy title for MLG

Folding to the push is terrible. I would think since he could think you're on a re-steal with a mid-pair(66-99) hand or a weak ace (AT/AJ), he'd re-re-raise all-in to push you off the hands since he has the big stack and could be willing to do this with a wide range of hands that you're crushing (AT/AJ/TT/99 for example)

Against a hand range of 99+, AQo+. you have a 50% equity, making folding to a push horrible.

I think you have to call mostly all times unless he only re-pushes with JJ+/AQo+ and even then it's a close fold.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:54 PM

This is an extraordinarily difficult hand to play in a vacuum, which you are. You know he's got a stack, but you don't know if this means he's been tight but getting run over by the deck, or if he's just a maniac flying around like a nimrod who's... getting run over by the deck.

I think in a $3 tourney you've got to call. I'm not saying this because the play in a $3 tourney is bad, instead, to win significant money in a small buyin tourney, you need to finish very deep. And I think this is the sort of chance you need to take in these tourneys.

Edit: How about "Giant Groupie" as a catchy title for him? "Eli's Beloved"?
Old 11-06-2005, 10:21 PM

I just wanted to add, even if you are 45/55 against his pushing range, you're getting 1.8-1 odds on your money making this an easy call. Re-raising in the first place is clearly right as you are way ahead of his raising range, but folding to a push here I think is pretty bad especially considering he just might be one of those guys who got a big stack early with maniac play.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:29 AM

I figured as much. Thanks for the input.