Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 08:05 AM

Default Re: How Times Have Changed...

I just read that thread and I can't tell whether the general attitude here has changed or not. A number of people in that thread made the crucial point that there is no such thing as one, ideal style.

Perhaps individual people have changed their game and loosened up profitably. It would be nice to think that I can do this someday myself. But I'd be surprised if even the best players here now believed that there is any such thing as one ideal set of numbers.

What I am most curious about - and perhaps the OP was hinting at this - is whether people believe that the opposition at a particular level (or site) has been changing, so that previous assumptions no longer apply.

For example, is there any particular play one can imagine endorsing now at 5/10, that they would have argued against one year ago?
Old 09-22-2005, 08:20 AM

The games are slowly getting tighter so the benefit of adding extra hands are reduced.

The main idea of playing loose is that you either make money from getting players who are too tight to fold better hands/not defend blinds. This does not happen much at 10/20 as there are few rocks.

Or to make more money from loose players by playing more hands against them. Say he has a 60% VPIP so by playing 30% you still have a considerable edge on hand values. As the games get tighter though this means that you cant play as loose as a Nikla type from 1 year ago.

Now that the rake has also increased some marginal hands that were once profitable will not be.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
playing 22/17 is failing to maximize your earn... period

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends how you play postflop with the hands from 23-30 doesn´t it ?
Old 09-22-2005, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Depends how you play postflop with the hands from 23-30 doesn´t it ?

[/ QUOTE ]

It certainly does and I have read many times where Nikla responds to a preflop question and then says, "but of course postflop is what really matters anyway" or something to that effect.

I read an archived thread recently in which the poster was asking about the transition from 5/10 to 10/20. Nikla said two things that I thought were noteworthy:

1) He was actually a loser when he first moved up to 10/20.

2) That he recommends playing tightly at first and then gradually loosening up with open-raising from all positions and blind defense once you adjust to the general differences in the game--particularly the increased aggression. He said to start at "+/- 25% of flops seen" but I don't know if he meant VPIP or not. I assume he meant VPIP because it appears in __1__'s link that there was some confusion on the definition of VPIP in an exchange with kiddo.

Cartman
Old 09-22-2005, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
one thing about adding a bunch of hands is i definitely started to get a better feel and understanding for the game since i was in so many more unique situations. the best lesson i learned is that stealing blinds is hella profitable for me (and likely for you). so, i have increased my blind steal repertoire but am back to folding my blinds to steals. im at like 65% in the bb which is likely the highest on the board. i dont care. i am folding ajs to the tag utg raise. i am folding a10 when the 30/5 guy with 10%asb opens in the co. ta and rory: im with you guys and im sorry i tried to leave.

i will, however, try to gradually open my defending range against the 22pfr with 35asb. the problem with this is that most of these guys are a bitch to play postflop since they are aggro and their range is large, while defending against the tags or laps is a bitch since they usually have good cards. [censored] it, im folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Victor. Care to share your VPIP in the BB? I've been trying to figure out what is optimal play in the BB (for me) and am just completely lost.

If I remember correctly Gonores was very tight from the BB where Nikla advocates defending the BB vigorously. Why are good players on the opposite end of the spectrum on BB defense?

___1___
Old 09-22-2005, 01:03 PM

folded bb to steal: 65%
vpip in bb: 21%

vpip on button: 27%
Old 09-22-2005, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been trying to figure out what is optimal play in the BB (for me) and am just completely lost.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think once you get a substantial number of hands (probably at least 100K) I would say you can start to get a general idea of the frontier of hands which about which you should be indifferent about folding and defending. The sample sizes are obviously too small to draw conclusions about, say K5s versus K4s, but when you look at your results for a specific hand in the context of related hands you should be able to gain some valuable insight.

Here is a post that gives some elaboration of what I'm referring to as well as some results of mine that may be helpful. I think this method is particularly beneficial because, even though it is limited by the sample size problem, it is unique to you and your particular handling of these hands postflop.

Cartman
Old 09-22-2005, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Public service announcement: Nikla is God

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-22-2005, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Public service announcement: Nikla is God

[/ QUOTE ]

So, does that mean Nikla > Vehn????? Say it ain't so!

___1___
Old 09-22-2005, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If I remember correctly Gonores was very tight from the BB where Nikla advocates defending the BB vigorously. Why are good players on the opposite end of the spectrum on BB defense?

___1___

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably because it doesn't really matter that much. I think you can play tight from the blinds, so long as you play aggressively when you do defend (by 3-betting or calling and checkraising a lot of flops). There are 2 players I don't like stealing from, those who call everything and play well postflop, and those who will 3-bet me often and play well postflop. Both styles will deter aggressive stealers from messing with you.

Most players who play tight from the blinds are not aggressive enough when they do decide to play. These players will get run over, as will those who defend a lot but don't play well post flop.

So, you either have to be:

1) Loose in the blinds and play like a champ postflop
2) Tight in the blinds, but aggressive when you do play.

Either of these styles will probably yield similar results.