Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2004, 04:04 PM

Default why do u never hear about some book authors winning anything?

If they are such experts at the game, and are writing and selling all these books and the advice they dispense, wouldnt you think you'd hear about them more often in poker circles.

Specifically, i'm talking about the likes of Mcevoy, Caro, Vorhaus, silbenstang. They ahve tons of books out, yet i have never heard any of their names amongst big tournament finishes over the last 5-6 years, and i don't hear about them being in any huge ring games either.

Don't mean any disrespect, just an honest question...are they maybe just experts for lower limits type players?
Old 10-29-2004, 04:08 PM

Default Re: why do u never hear about some book authors winning anything?

This uy Brunson also wrote a book - wonder if he is any good.

I do believe Mcevoy was at at least 1 of the Televised Final tables at the WSOP this year.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:10 PM

More to life than tournaments...Ever hear about this new thing called cash games? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2004, 04:49 PM

This is exactly why I'm not going to buy Harrington's book. He never wins. Those back-to-back final tables don't mean anything because he didn't win. Loser. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

In case anyone needs this: Sarcasm Detector
Old 10-29-2004, 05:03 PM

The answer is simple:
No matter how good you are, there is an element of luck in winning a tournament.

Look at the Tournament of Champions.

Howard is all in with 77
Annie calls with 66

She spikes a 6 and takes him out.

She was a HUGE underdog, yet she caught her set and Howard did not.

There are no guarantees in poker until all the cards are face up on the table.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:29 PM

OK jake..thanks for the sarcasm explanation, i don't think the rest could have figured it out otherwise.

Hmm, lets see if i can explain it at a level you may comprehend.

I said SOME of the authors who have many books out, and then went on to mention a few of those i meant, not ALL of the authors.

Obvioulsy, harrington, doyle, hellmuth, sklansky and other authors have obviously been able to back up adn demonstrate their expertise...but others not.

So, are those ones big cash game players then?? Hence i said i dont mean disrespect, just an honest question.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:32 PM

those guys make their living from playing poker.. that's about it.

the best poker player in the world is probably some guy you've never heard of or seen.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:08 PM

Default Here\'s an honest answer for an honest question

If winning more WSOP bracelets than just about everybody doesn't guarantee your book is really good, then why would not winning any bracelets mean that the book is no good?

Whether a book is good or not depends on what it contains, not the winning tournament record of the author. That being said, there have only been twenty WSOP champions in the past two decades. Are there more than twenty poker experts who have played in the past twenty years? Are these non-winners allowed to dispense their wisdom?

Is Dan Marino allowed to advise youngsters on becoming an NFL quarterback despite not having a Super Bowl ring?

But on the other hand, those who can, do; those who can't, teach. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

That being said, many people can put clear, straightforward logical guidelines down on paper yet be unable to follow their own guidelines when under the gun. I guarantee you this applies to quite a few posters on this website. Most posters are not as good as they come off in their posts, myself included. Not because of bragging, but because when taking the time to think through situations before posting, better decisions are made than those made at the table with the clock ticking.

Knowledge is not power, it is merely potential. APPLIED knowledge is power.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:23 PM

Default There\'s no advertising like free advertising

My guess would be that Doyle Brunson sells copies by appearing on televised tournaments; while a 60-120 player may have a better EV than a tournament player, what kind of of book profits is Sklansky leaving on the table by not shooting for a few WPT final tables?
Old 10-29-2004, 11:11 PM

Default Re: Here\'s an honest answer for an honest question

The "those who can't do, teach" quip does not apply to poker. To be an effective teacher you must be able to play the game really well. This isn't true in, say, basketball.

Actually, the more I think about it, I'm not sure this ever applies.

-Michael