Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2004, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Shutting up the Table Coach

What JFK actually said was "I'm a Bismarck" [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2004, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Should I trust research, or a native speaker in this?

[/ QUOTE ] Since I wouldn't trust an american to have any grasp of english grammar I'll go with the research ;0)

And as for the researcher being less failable that is true. However it still happens. At some point you have to trust.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Should I trust research, or a native speaker in this?

[/ QUOTE ] Since I wouldn't trust an american to have any grasp of english grammar I'll go with the research ;0)

And as for the researcher being less failable that is true. However it still happens. At some point you have to trust.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since he's not American, but German, then I'll still go with him. Why should I rely on someone else's research when he heard those words himself?

That's the point I'm getting at. I hear people listing research as what convinces you, but the fact is that a native German speaker FROM Germany told me what the fuss was all about. That's what I believe.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:38 PM

Regarding Shutting up the Table Coach:

Let's make sure I got this straight:

I should call the TC a Jelly Doughnut.

Seems lame. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2004, 11:17 PM

My favorites are," That's a pretty macho screen name you have there.Was 'I Love Cock' taken?"And after they take down a couple of pots I tend to follow up with,"Geez-a couple of more snags like that and you'll be able to move out of you moms' trailer!"
Old 10-30-2004, 01:49 PM

How about this one:

"I can't say it hasn't been fun....because it hasn't."
Old 10-30-2004, 03:59 PM

Default my favorites

"thanks"

"nice hand"
Old 10-30-2004, 11:34 PM

Hi jedi,

I'm with you. My friend was born and has lived in Germany all of her life. She was listening to the speech when it happened. She remembers her contemporaneous reaction. The argument that she, and your high school math teacher, had their memories redrawn by a 1988 Newsweek article is so patently absurd as to be laughable.

Of course, lately, it seems that all academic discourse begins with the premise that eyewitness testimony is inherently unreliable, thus allowing people who were not witnesses to the events in question to assert a greater knowledge of what happened than those who were. It's the ultimate triumph of theory/ideology over experience.

Cris
Old 10-31-2004, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The argument that she, and your high school math teacher, had their memories redrawn by a 1988 Newsweek article is so patently absurd as to be laughable.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 1988 Newsweek article is the first place it is known to have appeared in print as a gaffe. See, this is an assertion that can be proved false.
Old 10-31-2004, 03:59 PM

It's an unfortunate fact that eyewitness testimony is inherently unreliable. Sometimes witnesses to a crime can't even agree on whether the attacker was black or white, had short hair or long, did or didn't have a beard, jumped into a car or ran away, etc. And it's been shown repeatedly in studies that people will often change their memories according to coincide with what others are saying. Memory is definitely flawed and highly volatile.

Which is not addressing the whole JFK thing, a matter about which I have no opinion.

But I'm sure many tens of thousands or more people have gone to jail or had their lives and careers ruined by mistaken eyewitness testimony given by perfectly good people with the very best of intentions. I don't believe in coddling crooks one bit, but it's no loss that eyewitness testimony is sometimes not just taken for granted as being perfect proof.