Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 06:28 PM

Default Too loose, too lucky?

This is a live hand from my local card club past weekend. We're playing 5/5 blinds, thought it's Swedish Crowns, so it's almost 1/1. I'm sitting at around 5000 in chips and cover the table.

My image is that of a loose-aggressive borderline maniac foolish idiot. Kind of. I'm downing beer after beer and ocassionally screaming "KLONK".

Anyways.

Someone in EP raises to 30 after a few limpers. Two people call.

I hesitate before I look at my cards (I'm in SB) because I do have this nagging feeling that my cards will be poor and unplayable, especially out of position. I look down at a monster - 258K rainbow. So I call. Of course I call.

And, I check in the dark. This is a move I make whenever I have poor cards in a multiway pot, and whenever I feel like it. Sometimes I make it when eating Turkish meze at the same time, which I was doing right now, so - I guess it's not too easy for the opponents to read if this is a meze-induced check-in-the-dark or a crap cards-induced check-in-the-dark.

Anyway.

The flop comes 5-5-9.
Pot: 150.

I almost wet my pants with joy.
Then I realise I checked in the dark.
Then I realise it's Omaha.

The Miracle happens, and it gets checked around. I'm in big trouble now, I always tend to overplay poor trips in Omaha out of position. I always tend to bust on these types of hands when I think "F it - what can HE have? I re-raise pot!".

Anways.

Turn is a 5.

This means the board reads 5 5 9 5.

I have a 5.

Unless the deck is more rigged than usually, I should be the only one with four of a kind.

So I pot it.

With force. 150 f-in Swedish Crowns - which amounts to a lunch at some above-average American restaurant, I presume.

I get one caller.

The rest of the weak-tight Santa Clauses fold.

River: Q. SO the board now reads 5 5 9 5 Q.

Anyway.

I think - check-raise. But that is bad. I miss too much value. So, while I think, I have some meze. Then I bet 400 into the 450 pot. My opponent jokingly asks if I have four of a kind. I give off a blatantly obvious physical tell, letting him know that I indeed do have four of a kind. He groans and moans like a schoolgirl losing her virginity. Then he calls. I flip my five and rake in 1250 worth of chips.

Fancy dinner with a girl at a fancy American restaurant, I presume.

So - how did I do? Should I opt for a check-raise on any of the streets, and if so - why? And what will pay it off? Or is my line maximizing value postflop?
Old 11-22-2005, 07:39 PM

Default Re: Too loose, too lucky?

Except for preflop, I think your play was fine on every street to extract maximum value on the hand. Did you scream KLONK?
Old 11-22-2005, 10:07 PM

Next time I gather in a big pot people will be deafened by KLONK!
Old 11-23-2005, 09:26 AM

In order to make things more realistic and cosy you should wear a KLONK-cap while outbusting the famous swedish KLONK-anthem.

http://www.spreadshirt.net/shop.php?sid=95791
Old 11-23-2005, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Or is my line maximizing value postflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Preflop: Call is obviously fine, but have som beer along with the meze.

Flop: Don't check in the dark. Have another bite of the meze before you check.

Turn: Celebrate with a sip of beer. From what I've heard tells can safetly be ignored in this game. Order another beer.

River: Burp and bellow "Klonk! Scoop!" in your usual manner, and open another beer. You might want to wait until your opponent has called before sceaming "Klonk!" though. But on the other hand that's an expert play that might go over your opponents heads.