Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2004, 05:12 PM

Default I fall victim to one of the Seven Deadly Sins: Amused Pride

3/6 B&M. A very loose table (with the exception of a tight old hippie to my left) with 6, 7, 8 and once 10 people seeing the flop. By playing tight pf and having some good cards, I am having a very good night. I have, by far, the biggest stack of chips in front of me.

I’m in the SB and am dealt the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] . Six players limp to me and I decide to play knowing TOH would need three aces in the hole before he’d raise the BB. The flop is J94 all [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]s. Good flop, wrong suit. I check and the limping bee begins. You know, the group feeling that develops at the table sometimes, the we’re-all-here-just-to-have-fun-so-let’s-all-just-be-nice-and-not-raise feeling. What, with my pair of fours, I think, no way. I say raise very softly, and as one the table snorts its disgust. If I could read minds I sure all I’d hear at that moment is "What an [censored]." And then, as if to punish me, the entire table folds with the exception of one guy who folds after I bet the turn. As the dealer slid me my $42 profit, I had to cross my toes and scrunch them very hard not to grin ear to ear.

I won $346 in three hours on Thursday and this is the hand that stands out. Am I wrong to feel an amused pride? Does anyone else run into these group encounter limping bees sometimes?
Old 01-31-2004, 05:29 PM

Default Re: I fall victim to one of the Seven Deadly Sins: Amused Pride

I do'nt like your bet on the flop here. If it was a rainbow board it would be *ok* as a semi-bluff...betting bottom pair with an over card kicker...but not something you should do often. but 8 to the flop and nobody is going to catch a better piece and call you down? My ass. Terrible bet. You got f'n lucky. You ahve to think with that many people if you hit your 2 pair somebody might even have a better 2 pair.

bk
Old 01-31-2004, 05:32 PM

or at the least someone is holding a high heart and your forced to go all the way to the river with your little pair
Old 01-31-2004, 06:01 PM

As a general rule you made a pretty dumb play betting/raising a one suited flop when you have bottom pair and none of that suit with six opponents. This time it worked. Feel good, that's fine. But next time save the chips. It won't work nearly often enough to be profitable. I shant try to calculate the negativeness of your EV tho.

al
Old 01-31-2004, 09:33 PM

I dont what to write other than I agree with everyone else.

This play might work once in 100 attempts.

I cannot believe someone did not have at least one heart to chase the last one to the river.

I hope you posted this as an exception not the rule, oh and by the way, welcome aboard.