Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 08:02 AM

Default Re: Help me pick a speech topic

[ QUOTE ]
Did it involve sampling these different beers? For that even I would have given you an A, and I'm a hard-ass grader when it comes to speeches.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHA i wish. But my teacher was really cool and he even said he tried some of the beers i talked about and it changed the way he thought about beer.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:05 AM

I was a TA in a speech class once... (i DO know what i'm talking aboput for once!)

here:

A speech will always be superior if it's about soething you know and love, vs about something you pick because you think OTHERS will find it intresting- an audience will generally, if the speaker is good, be exactly as involved in the subject matter as the speaker is.

so why not poker or some other form of gamboooooooooling?

-how to play texas holdem in 6 easy minutes... edit: better name for the speech: "how to beat the crap out of your buddies in your NL holdem home games" (people will pay attention to this one, and i'm sure you can come up with a way to pack enough info into a short time to seriously improve the skills of a bunch of amatures)
-you can't beat the table games, and i can prove it; just say NO to martingale and other betting systems... (this one's got big potential for some subtle humor)
-somthing like that... i don't know what your other intrests are. a usefull, but uncommon skill is always good, the best grade in that particular class's informative speech went to a dude that explained how to properly wrap a gift with common 'found' materials. it was actually really cool to learn that.

oh, and if you can, bring props. props are a big grade-booster in speech classes.

one more thing.. if you use one of these topics, i'd be happy to edit that mother for you if you'd like. i actually kinda miss editing stuff. (I will get you an 'A' or your money back!) PM me!
Old 09-30-2005, 08:15 AM

Seriously, take care if it's a subject you're passionate about/know a lot about - really, really easy to overshoot your time and end all wrong.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, take care if it's a subject you're passionate about/know a lot about - really, really easy to overshoot your time and end all wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

diebitter raises a good point, and reminded me of another important one: remember, or rather, assume, that your audience knows very little about your subject; Don't write a speech about poker and use the word 'variance' without a good, succint explanation, for example; also, remember that they're probably not as 'into' the subject as you are... it's your job as a speaker to generate that intrest.

bet, what does 'diebitter' mean? isn't it 'the please' in german? WTF is that? or am i WAYYYYY off? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2005, 08:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

diebitter raises a good point, and reminded me of another important one: remember, or rather, assume, that your audience knows very little about your subject; Don't write a speech about poker and use the word 'variance' without a good, succint explanation, for example; also, remember that they're probably not as 'into' the subject as you are... it's your job as a speaker to generate that intrest.

bet, what does 'diebitter' mean? isn't it 'the please' in german? WTF is that? or am i WAYYYYY off? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's German for die Bart.... die.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

diebitter raises a good point, and reminded me of another important one: remember, or rather, assume, that your audience knows very little about your subject...

...what does 'diebitter' mean? isn't it 'the please' in german? WTF is that? or am i WAYYYYY off? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I expect to die bitter.

Another important tip - which probably doesn't apply for your very short talk - best approach is:
1) Tell em what you're gonna tell em
2) Tell em
3) Tell em what you told em

ie prepare em for recieving wisdom, dispense it, review the key points at the end
Old 09-30-2005, 08:55 AM

Tupac vs Biggie Smalls feud,

or eulogize Gilligan (Bob Denver)
Old 09-30-2005, 09:21 AM

the history of the "crop duster".

I got nothing.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the history of the "crop duster".