Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 04:00 PM

Default Terrible ruling at Binion\'s last night

I'm out here in Vegas covering the WSOP and my boss and I decided to slack off and play in the 8:00pm tourney at Binion's ($60 + one $40 re-buy).

After the second break, as the cards were being dealt, something didn't feel right to me. As I scanned the table, I noticed the player in Seat 8 (I was in Seat 3, so I had a great view of everyone) was not the same one who was there before. He had the same chip stack and the original player was not eliminated, plus it seemed weird that they would move one person from the table without breaking everybody.

I actually spoke up and asked everybody to stop play for a second so I could point this out. The new kid (he looked like a kid) said the original player was disqualified, but he'd explain it fully after the hand. That was cool by me, so we continued. Nothing happened in the hand - everyone folded to the button, who raised, and I folded in the BB.

While the dealer was shuffling, the new kid explained that it was his friend who was playing originally, but at the break, security carded him. When he couldn't produce ID, security wouldn't let him continue playing, but allowed him to return to his hotel to get his ID. In the meantime, his friend was permitted to stand in as a SUBSTITUTE.

What?

Almost in unison, the rest of us called for the floor before the next hand. The tournament manager came over and said it was ok for him to be a sub. We all (some more than others) vehemently protested. After all, what if we knew, say, Greg Raymer, who had just busted from the WSOP and he was willing to sit in for us? Would that be fair?

After a couple minutes of arguing, the tournament director gave in and said the player would just be anted and blinded off. It was ridiculous.

In the end, I was never hurt by this weirdness (I was hurt by a major suckout, but that's another story), but it did make for some fun commentary for the next hour.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Terrible ruling at Binion\'s last night

huh? I have a hard time believing this happened
Old 07-15-2005, 04:08 PM

Tag team hold'em. Once the poker bubble starts to burst, this will be one of ESPN's attempts at rejuvenating the game.

"Tonight's main event: Phil Ivey and Greg Raymer vs. Doyle Brunson and Gus Hansen...winner take all!"
Old 07-15-2005, 04:56 PM

its like hogan knows best, the original player was tagging out on this one and the new player was playing, whats the big deal? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

rj
Old 07-15-2005, 05:09 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
I actually spoke up and asked everybody to stop play for a second so I could point this out. The new kid (he looked like a kid) said the original player was disqualified, but he'd explain it fully after the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, no. It's not going any further until this matter is settled right then and there. Perferrably prior to the hand being dealt. What if someone busts out on this hand because of him? The new kid isn't going to be the one who's going to explain it to me. Call the floor immediately.

b
Old 07-15-2005, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I actually spoke up and asked everybody to stop play for a second so I could point this out. The new kid (he looked like a kid) said the original player was disqualified, but he'd explain it fully after the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, no. It's not going any further until this matter is settled right then and there.

[/ QUOTE ]

At this point, I'd not have called the floor, as until the kid gives his explanation, there's a reasonable and probable one: the kid who was DQd leaves the tournament, his chips are forfeited (as they should have been, not blinded off), and this guy is the replacement. So, calling over the floor would be premature.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:54 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, no. It's not going any further until this matter is settled right then and there.

[/ QUOTE ]

At this point, I'd not have called the floor, as until the kid gives his explanation, there's a reasonable and probable one: the kid who was DQd leaves the tournament, his chips are forfeited (as they should have been, not blinded off), and this guy is the replacement. So, calling over the floor would be premature.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even so, it doesn't matter what the kid says. What if he lies and says they moved him during break? What if he gives the reason you mentioned. I want the explanation from someone with some authority. Not from some player that I don't know who just appears at my table.

b
Old 07-15-2005, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
After the second break the DQd guy forfeits his chips, a replacement is brought in, and he has the same chip stack as the guy who left? Doesn't sound very probable at all. Call the floor immediately.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:16 PM

I actually saw a turny run this way at the Grand in Tunica. It was half holdem, half omaha...changed every 30 minutes, and your partner had to play the other 30 minutes..never seen before it then or since...
Old 07-15-2005, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually saw a turny run this way at the Grand in Tunica. It was half holdem, half omaha...changed every 30 minutes, and your partner had to play the other 30 minutes..never seen before it then or since...

[/ QUOTE ]

At Lucky Chances in Colma, CA, they have a Partners Limit hold 'em event at each of their semi-annual series of tournaments (Gold Rush and Battle of the Bay). Partners switch to play each level.