Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2005, 12:12 PM

Default TT in the SB - fold or push?

Ok I don't have the hand history, but I'll just sum up the situation.

2/4 on Party

Hero is SB with 10 10.

MP1 raises to 8, Button calls, I call, BB raises to 25, MP1 calls, Button calls, I call.

Flop is 887, two spades.

I check, BB checks, MP1 checks, Button bets pot (100). Button has 100 left behind after the bet, I have about 300, and BB and MP1 have me covered.

Is this a fold or a push?

I thought for a while and I couldn't place Button on a decent hand... maaaaaybe jacks, though the cold calling of the min raise preflop when everyone else limped is suspicious with jacks. I knew it wasn't a bigger pair because he had cold called two preflop raises. I was thinking that on such a raggy flop, the pair could be 99 or even lower - with the two little raises preflop, we had all been priced in to call for set value, so it really could have been 22 for all I know.

I eventually folded because I couldn't help feeling like I was walking into BB's check raise on the paired board with the big overpair, and he had a lot more money behind.

So I folded, and BB and MP1 folded almost instantly as well, which didn't make me happy.

What would everyone else do in this situation?
Old 03-04-2005, 12:55 PM

Default Re: TT in the SB - fold or push?

Obviously since you've called two cold you're playing for set value, and set value only. The actual flop shouldn't be important.

As a side, I would have reraised preflop (Before you knew the BB was raising obviously), to punich the min-raiser who likely was medium overcards and most of the time you'll get heads up with him and you know exactly what kind of flop to look out for. And if you're having trouble with these kind of flops it's even more important because with BB calling cold PF or reraising you'll know what kind of shape you're in.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:13 PM

I don't like a push. Button could have all kinds of suited connectors that are even money or even a favorite against you. I can easily see him having an 8 as well. If you push, he is getting 2.5:1 to call, so unless he was messing around with a smaller pocket pair, you're going to be playing a big pot against a good draw or trips. I like a fold.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:44 PM

I like calling the 2 raises preflop, because you are getting good implied odds for your set with 4-way action.

With 2 raises and 3 callers, you have to assume someone has a higher overpair, regardless of how loose the table is. I'm not that worried about an 8, but I think you have to fold your 10s to significant action.