Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2004, 01:44 AM

Default Mixing up one\'s raises

3/6 Hole'em B&M

The table I'm playing is tight/passive and while I've been gettting some decent cards I haven't been able to get much action. It comes to a head when I'm dealt pocket Kings UTG+1 and I raise. The entire table folds including the two blinds. Now, I'm not sure what my table image is but I do have the biggest stack of chips in front of me (so I've been getting some action) but haven't seen anything close to pocket Ks for awhile. I'm a little irritated so now UTG I'm dealt Js6s. What the hey, I figure, maybe I can steal the blinds again. I raise and get several callers. Long story short, I take down a fair sized pot with a rare (for me) flush.

"Nice raise," says a guy opposite, dripping with sarcasm. "Perfect timing" I say.

One orbit later I'm in the BB and am dealt pocket aces. Characteristically, the entire table folds to the small blind, a icy Asian woman who makes bad decisions pf. She completes and I check my option. The flop comes KK10 and iAw bets and I call. I put her on a K and figure I'm behind. The turn is a blank and iAw bets and I call. I fill up on the river with an ace. The iAw bets, I raise and she calls. She is really angry when I turn over my pocket aces. "I don't understand how you raise at all," she says slaming down her cards (she had a K). "You raise J6 suited but not pocket aces."

I found myself getting a little defensive. "Just trying to keep you one your toes," I said.

My question: Was I wrong to raise with Js6s UTG at a tight table? The result was positive, both in winning the pot and confusing my opponents. It's not something I do regularly but sometimes I want to try some stuff on the tighties just to see if I can. I sometimes raise suited connectors and J10 unsuited just to see if I can get the lethargy out. I get away from them quick if nothing materiaizes. I tend to do better against tight tables than loose ones because of my willingness to try stuff. Any other suggestions on what to try?
Old 01-20-2004, 01:49 AM

Default Re: Mixing up one\'s raises

Was I wrong to raise with Js6s UTG at a tight table?
Um.

I'm dealt pocket Kings UTG+1 and I raise. The entire table folds.
I'm a little irritated so now UTG I'm dealt Js6s

Come on Yen. Admit it. This was a "tilt raise".

I sometimes raise suited connectors and J10 unsuited just to see if I can get the lethargy out.
If you want to mix up your EP raises occasionally that's fine.
You're much better off doing it with the above SUITED, or even something like 98s than with J6s, or even JTo though.
HPFAP suggests it in fact.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:29 AM

You're right, it was a tilt raise. I let my emotion, irritation, cause a raise pf when it shouldn't have. But if I'd done it with sober calculation, to be random and confuse the others at the table, would that have be a good play? If I only raise group 3-5 hands pf, won't I still be seen as a solid player (by other solid players). If I'm seen a wild, random raiser, I might get some more action.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
UTG I'm dealt Js6s. What the hey, I figure, maybe I can steal the blinds again. I raise and get several callers. Long story short, I take down a fair sized pot with a rare (for me) flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love it when a plan comes together! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Seriously, I would love to be able to pull something like this off. When I'm playing a super tight table, I get real tempted to start raising every hand until I get callers.

When I do get the urge to try this, I usually avoid doing back to back raises - it looks too much like you're on the steal. Wait a couple of hands and try it - you'll probably be able to steal the blinds every 3 hands if the table is that tight.

Smooth calling Aces? I'll do it every once in a while - it really freaks people out unless they're real solid and understand the tactical usefulness of this play occasionally. I usually do it hoping to 3 bet someone else, but it can work out very well (get my raise in on the flop) when they're disquised.

I think it's real important to mix up your raising practices - it's nice to get enough good cards during a session to be able to do these kinds of things.