Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2004, 08:06 PM

Default Why SitnGo\'s?

Hi,

I was wondering why so many of the guys playing for a living (or serious cash) are playing Sit n go's. I know they are fun, and quick etc. But i was wondering if it was determined whether they are more profitable (or have other advantages)than other Hold'em options

Is there an financial argument for playing sit n go's over other options such as limit or no limit ring? Other than just the enjoyment factor.

thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-31-2004, 08:17 PM

Default Re: Why SitnGo\'s?

I think they are more profitable for a good player than limit and no limit ring games of similar variance. There are a huge amount of oppurtunities for bad players to make gigantic mistakes, especially with the changing blinds.

This is for party sng's only. On most other sites the tournies take longer so your hourly rate might not be as high as the corresoponding limit/no limit ring games. I don't play sng's on those sites so I'm really not sure.

-Ezcheeze
Old 12-31-2004, 08:22 PM

Hi,
Well, I have thought about it too....although I dont have any orgenized data, I am pretty sure Sng's are more profitable (compared to other gane options). I believe the main reason for this is the fact that in Sng's the players are betting "chips" not "money". this makes it easyer for them to have fun (lets go all in !!)and give it away. also Sng's have higher volatilaty (luck swings) and many tight pros cant take that: in their ring game they win every day. that leaves a big "gap" for good players who are willing to trade equity (EV) for variance.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:29 PM

For some reason that I do not understand, sng's seem to attract more weak players than ring games. Even at the $50 and $100 limits. And the sharks must follow the fish wherever they go.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:37 PM

More profitable?

If someone 4 tabled 15-30 at 1.5BB an hr (per table) is $180 an hour. Their BR would be at least 9k.

That's probally a similiar BR for a $215 player. If they 4 table then they play maybe 5-5.5 an hour, hitting 15% that's $177 per hour.

I think the skill level to hit 15%ROI at $215 is higher than making 1.5BB/hr at 15-30 (I don't know, just a guess). The variance is probally quite a bit higher for the 15-30 (I don't know the numbers).

This isn't taking higher level sngs into account since I don't know how common they are.

I guess high level ring would have greater earning potential (unless there are quite a few high limit sngs around and you can hit a decent ROI).
Old 12-31-2004, 09:48 PM

good luck keeping either of those numbers. 15% at 215 is VERY hard to do. so is 1.2 bb per 100 hands(about 1.5 bb per hour) at 15-30. to be honest, its probably best to learn to play both, then just switch off to stay fresh. if you get bored playing poker, you never do as well as you could. playing 15-30 is a grind, its swingy, and in general, i get bored playing it. personally i prefer sngs, and i think that there are too many people that just throw away their money. in 15-30 there are maniacs, but thats not necessarily a good thing.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:37 PM

A lot of it is personal, but I have found SNGs to be very profitable when compared to ring games. I love the opportunity to punish weaker players, take their chips and best of all make them disappear when they make bonehead plays. The 109 level is well nigh perfect for this. The really good players have moved up leaving the wanna-bes for opportunity lovers like me. There are plenty of suck outs in SNGs but nothing like I experienced in cash games. SNGs are wonderful. Long live SNGs.
Old 01-01-2005, 01:37 PM

Default My thoughts

Assume a $3000 bankroll, which is what you need to play 10-20 limit, or $100 SNGs.

Good SNG players average 40% ROI. Average SNG lasts an hour, sometimes more, sometimes less.

So, $40 an hour, which would be 2BB an hour at 10-20 limit.

Good limit players average 2BB per 100 hands, which takes longer than hour even online, meaning the return is greater for good players in SNGs.

Throw in the fact that you play far fewer hands, far fewer flops, far fewer turns, far fewer rivers = far fewer decisions to make in SNGs v limit.

Meaning, the variance is greater in limit.

Also, meaning you can multitable more easily in SNGs.
Old 01-01-2005, 01:54 PM

Default Re: My thoughts

From what I've read around here, 40%ROI at $100s is not sustainable.
Old 01-01-2005, 06:17 PM

Default Re: My thoughts

Thanks guys for all the responses. This is some great info! My favorite reason was about making the bad players "disappear". That is fun [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]