Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2004, 01:10 PM

Default \'spam\' reviews of poker books at amazon?

Just wondering what the deal is with all the obviously bogus reviews that only seem to afflict poker books at Amazon. I'm used to the usual obvious ads for PP and such, but there seems to be a recent spate of just silly ones that don't have an obvious motive. Just look at any popular poker book at a Amazon and you'll see what I mean. I hope they periodically weed out this crap - I usually enjoy reading reviews there.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:18 PM

Default Re: \'spam\' reviews of poker books at amazon?

The "reviews" are by affiliates who insert their codes to try to sign up new players. I have reported several to Amazon, and received messages back that they were removed.

[ QUOTE ]
I hope they periodically weed out this crap - I usually enjoy reading reviews there.

[/ QUOTE ]

They generally don't do anything unless it is reported. Click on "Contact Us" at the bottom of any Amazon page, and then click on "Web Site and Product Suggestions", and send them an e-mail with the title of the book, saying that a review is really an ad for internet gambling.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:30 PM

Hopefully the publishers/authors will take care of contacting Amazon. BTW, the recent spam-reviews don't have any indication of an affiliate. I guess someone just felt like pissing in the public pool for the heck of it.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just wondering what the deal is with all the obviously bogus reviews that only seem to afflict poker books at Amazon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bogus reviews at Amazon do *not* only affect poker books. For an extreme example, look at the reviews (both pro and con) of "Unfit for Command". I doubt 1% of the 1280+ reviews came from someone who read the book.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:16 PM

It's not limited to poker books. The user reviews on Amazon are frequently some of the most unintentionally hilarious things on the web. Read the negative reviews of The Great Gatsby. Or Macbeth.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:54 PM

I think the best way for them to fix the Amazon.com "problem" (and I agree it is one, as I spend thousands and thousands of dollars per year on DVD's, books, and CD's, and almost all of those dollars go to Amazon.com) is to simply limit the reviews to people who have bought the item at Amazon.com -- that would SOMEWHAT fix the bogus / idiotic reviews.

Over time, it's best just to ignore said comments at the site and go with ACTUAL feedback you hear from actual folks / recommendations from people you know either (a) know what they're talking about or (b) don't have impure motivations for their statements.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 08-30-2004, 03:06 PM

Quite possibly the most bogus system in the history of blackjack. But heck 4/5 stars at amazon!

Gregorian Strategy
Old 08-30-2004, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not limited to poker books. The user reviews on Amazon are frequently some of the most unintentionally hilarious things on the web. Read the negative reviews of The Great Gatsby. Or Macbeth.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, and some of these have been assembled:
http://www.waxy.org/archive/2004/07/01/amazonco.shtml
Some of these are incredibly funny. I love the one that claims Homer's writing is "another blatant Gilgamesh rip-off". Cracks me up. Of course, many of these are intended to be humorous and/or incendiary.