Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2005, 08:01 PM

Default Set of jacks, awkward turn

I've just been around for one orbit, so I dont know anything about villain..

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (6 handed) internettexasholdem.com

MP ($253.20)
CO ($200)
Button ($348.65)
SB ($145.85)
BB ($285.05)
Hero ($193.80)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $12</font>, MP calls $12, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $12, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($41) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $32</font>, MP calls $32, Button calls $32.

Turn: ($137) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $80</font>, MP folds, Button calls $80.

River: ($297) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $224.65 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls $69.80 (All-In).

Final Pot: $591.45

I was very uncertain of how much to bet on the turn. Obviously I wanted to make money from lesser hands, and I wanted to charge someone on a flushdraw. The problem is that I'm committing my stack if I charge a flushdraw and hence giving him better odds. If I overbet the pot (i.e. move allin) I will only be called by hand I now fear, KQ

Any suggestions on turn bet?
Old 12-03-2005, 08:04 PM

Default Re: Set of jacks, awkward turn

Raise a little less preflop, 8 is enough imo. Definitely push the river. You dont accomplish anything by checking here with this board.

Also, bet a little less on the turn.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:13 PM

Preflop was screwup, normally I raise 8... Why smaller on turn?
On river you assume I either win money versus two pair or someone crazy with a bare ace with a bet, or I am losing money to KQ if I check, which I would have lost anyway with a bet? I thought somewhere along the line of letting villain bluff in the heat of the moment, but I see now that it's stupid because of pot size (villain has close to zero FE)
Old 12-03-2005, 08:18 PM

Dont mind about the turn. Was reading the post to fast, thought it was an overbet. The turn-bet was fine. But be sure to push river next time in same situation. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2005, 08:55 PM

I have no idea why you consider that turn card awkward. Did you think someone's calling the flop bet with a gutshot? The possible straight is already made on the flop, the 9 doesn't help.

Preflop is OK UTG. There is a poster in the hand, so I'd be making it $9 or $10. $12's not too crazy. Flop and turn look OK to me. I would also push the river. If they have KQ, you're not folding anyway. If they have AT, they might check behind whereas they would be calling that river bet from you.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:03 PM

It's because there is a flushdraw combined with the fact that I'm already behind. My bet on the turn is profitably called by a flushdraw (because I'm committing myself) and ofcourse KQ.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's because there is a flushdraw combined with the fact that I'm already behind. My bet on the turn is profitably called by a flushdraw (because I'm committing myself) and ofcourse KQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

ahhh, OK. The 9's not awkward, the situation is. Got it. You got to spell things out for us level one thinkers sometimes.