Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 04:06 PM

Default Re: Scotch Questions from a silly college kid

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So I read this thread last night before I went to sleep and realized I have never actually tasted scotch. I was talking to my roommate about this and he said scotch is awesome, so basically I want to buy some scotch for either tommorow night or thursday night. I need the fine people of 2+2 to recommend me a good first bottle. I am taking a wild guess that decent bottles of scotch are usually about 50-100$ right? maybe? I have no idea but I am not crazy about spending more than 100$ on a bottle. So yeah, I am going to buy a bottle based the recommendations I recieve...I am really excited about this for some reason! Help !

[/ QUOTE ]

Given that you have never had Scotch, you might want to start with a blended scotch like Johnnie Walker Black (Should be about $40). If you like that then try some single malts. Maybe someting like a 12-year old Bowmore. That should run you about $50.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh - I wouldnt even bother with the blended stuff. Thats like introducing someone to wine with a box of white zinfindal. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2005, 04:11 PM

I'm in the same boat in that I've never really experimented with scotch either. After doing some reading on the Malt Maniacs site, I'm going to go with either the Dalwhinnie 15 that is also mentioned in El D's chicken thread, or the Balvenie 12.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:18 PM

Macallan or a Bowmore are way better suggestions than the blended stuff. Bowmore comes in a lot of variations, but it's all quality. Macallan 12 yo is an excellent first scotch IMO.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Dalwhinnie 15
Balvenie 12.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both good choices for a 1st timer. Balvenie was the 1st I tried. If you want to spend an extra 10 or so Id also suggest Oban.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So I read this thread last night before I went to sleep and realized I have never actually tasted scotch. I was talking to my roommate about this and he said scotch is awesome, so basically I want to buy some scotch for either tommorow night or thursday night. I need the fine people of 2+2 to recommend me a good first bottle. I am taking a wild guess that decent bottles of scotch are usually about 50-100$ right? maybe? I have no idea but I am not crazy about spending more than 100$ on a bottle. So yeah, I am going to buy a bottle based the recommendations I recieve...I am really excited about this for some reason! Help !

[/ QUOTE ]

Given that you have never had Scotch, you might want to start with a blended scotch like Johnnie Walker Black (Should be about $40). If you like that then try some single malts. Maybe someting like a 12-year old Bowmore. That should run you about $50.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh - I wouldnt even bother with the blended stuff. Thats like introducing someone to wine with a box of white zinfindal. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just dumb, there are plenty of good blended scotches.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats debatable. But blends are completly different than singles and when getting together for a scotch tasting it aint to bring a bottle of Chivas.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats debatable. But blends are completly different than singles and when getting together for a scotch tasting it aint to bring a bottle of Chivas.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true.

Having a blended whisky tasting would be like having a vodka/tonic tasting, where everyone brings a different $5 bottle of vodka.

Oh another note, I'm surprised no one has mentioned that putting ice in scotch (as one poster suggested) is the sin of all sins.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true.

Having a blended whisky tasting would be like having a vodka/tonic tasting, where everyone brings a different $5 bottle of vodka.

Oh another note, I'm surprised no one has mentioned that putting ice in scotch (as one poster suggested) is the sin of all sins.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to one of the bars at Mohegan Sun a few months ago. After playing soem blackjack, my girlfriend and I stopped at one of the nicer bars there. I ordered a Macallen 18. The guy seemed utterly amazed that I didnt want ice in it.

"You just gonna pound that back or something"

Fool.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously you guys haven't had outstanding blends like Michel Couvrer.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:59 PM

Default Food!

Ok, so I am probably going to get either the Glenliveit 12 or the Macallan 12. Does anyone have any suggestions on what may or may not taste awesome while drinking either one of these bottles? From what I understand food and scotch go hand in hand. Even though I am in college I have a full functional kitchen so anything is possible...My initial thought is to make steak or pork. Thoughts?