Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2005, 11:53 PM

Default KK hand against a respected 2+2\'er....

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 :#A500AF(Solid 2+2'er)/ raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG+2 :#A500AF(Solid 2+2'er)/ calls.

Flop: (9.33 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Solid 2+2'er checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, Solid 2+2'er calls.

Turn: (6.16 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Solid 2+2'er checks, Hero checks.

River: (6.16 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Solid 2+2'er bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Solid 2+2'er 3-bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 11.16 BB
Old 02-15-2005, 11:59 PM

Default Re: KK hand against a respected 2+2\'er....

Your plan in this hand is weird. If I'm the 2+2er I'm putting you on exactly AK when you raise the river (this is a case where you don't want the BB to overcall). The 2+2er might be betting AJ or AQ with hopes of folding you out here, but it would take a lot of something to 3-bet a hand like that. Out of curiousity, why did you check the turn? I feel like calling the river is a better play in this spot given the turn check.

Brad
Old 02-16-2005, 12:00 AM

bet the turn

this wasnt me was it?

peace

john nickle
Old 02-16-2005, 12:05 AM

wtf r u doing *not* betting this turn?

(wouldn't it be amazing for you if the river was a 7 or a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])

dumb

Adam
Old 02-16-2005, 12:05 AM

Yikes, why you checking the turn here. I'd bet and call down if checkraised on the turn.

The way you played it, on the river do you think that there is a 10% chance that he has something besides 77, 88, 99 or AA here? With your turn check, he might be 3 betting with a wider range of hands than that.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
bet the turn

this wasnt me was it?

peace

john nickle

[/ QUOTE ]

actually it was you. I played this one bad. Usually I play SH.

I know the turn play sucked, but how about the river. I'm thinking calling down would be better?
Old 02-16-2005, 12:21 AM

Doesn't matter who you're playing there.
You should always bet the turn.
Gotta make him pay to draw no matter what he's got.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:24 AM

Got the balls to 3-bet that river with AJ? [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Brad
Old 02-16-2005, 12:40 AM

I thought you said "respected?"

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-16-2005, 12:52 AM

Ooh, there are some problems here.

I think you need to decide on the turn whether you want to bet and fold to a check-raise and risk giving up a free card but avoid being vulnerable to a bluff, or just go ahead and take a cheap showdown. I think the former line is a lot better here since you are up against two opponents. Not only does this mean that a free card is more harmful if you are presently ahead, but it also protects you against a bluff ... if you bet, the BB calls, and the 2+2er raises, you're behind like 99% of the time and have an easy fold.

If you do decide to check through the turn, the last thing you want to do is raise a river blank, as you will likely either have a hand that's way behind your opponent's (in which case he will not call the raise) or way ahead of it.

What's more, I don't even know that you can fold to a 3-bet. Your whole play in the hand is so strange that your oppoent could mistakenly be 3-betting with a worse hand thinking that it's for value, and he could also be bluffing with a weaker hand since your play on the turn really indicates that you're scared.