Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2005, 09:07 AM

Default Re: Sure I can complete that crap, but then what?

I dont play these hands, but it ties in a bit with what the thread is all about, it pays to be looser in the small blind.

I thought Id add so people could comment on,
Old 05-30-2005, 11:17 AM

Default Re: Blind Play: A Word of Advice for 5/10 6max

This does gives me something to think about. When all these players that are better then I are advocating something that I disagree it might be time to do some more investigating. Abdul suggestions are also very loose in the SB.
My biggest worries about low off suit connectors is when you do make 2 pair often it can still lose to better 2 pair and also puts a straight draw on the board. It seems to me that the cost to complete might be the least of my worries. Trash is trash and you lose with trash

I have asked this question before and can't seem to get an answer. What is postion worth? is it worth a 1/5BB? if so then why couldn't we play 86o from the button?

I would like to hear from Rory on this subject.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have asked this question before and can't seem to get an answer. What is postion worth? is it worth a 1/5BB? if so then why couldn't we play 86o from the button?

I would like to hear from Rory on this subject.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read somewhere that the button was worth about 1/4 BB in EV. I wish I could remember where. I want to say SSH, but I'm not sure that's right.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:26 PM

thats not really accurate, even if its been printed in a book. if you look at positional stats of an average player, you will see that they are not winning .25BB from the button. the majority of winning players dont reach that number either.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thats not really accurate, even if its been printed in a book. if you look at positional stats of an average player, you will see that they are not winning .25BB from the button. the majority of winning players dont reach that number either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooops, i meant .25 BB, or 1/2 SB. I just edited my post.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd suggest dedicating 10k hands to his guidelines and see how it goes.

[/ QUOTE ]

10K won't really tell you anything. Over a small sample, variance will dominate. I understand being able to get a feel for something over a small sample of hands, but I don't know if I'll get a sense for how SB and BB defense is going. I don't think I'm that aware.

That said, I'm willing to try things. What would your target VP$IP for the SB and BB be?

Also if anyone can find the links to Peter_Rus, I'd be grateful. Thanks,

Krishan
Old 08-10-2005, 10:10 AM

Default I\'ll just chime in to say that

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your blind play win rates are virtually worthless.

[/ QUOTE ]

First, I'll certainly agree that without simulation software, it's almost impossible to evaluate the EV of any particular hand in any particular position with any degree of certainty. Thus, winrate's by position are very difficult to evaluate without a huge number of overall hands.

With this said, I can only speak to my results and they certainly improved by specifically playing more hands from the SB. Dumb luck? Maybe. All I know is that myself, Peter_rus, Grisgra, and others have done very well in the blinds by incorporating this preflop strategy. Of course postflop play is important, but with any adequate postflop play I be MANY persons could greatly improve their winrate by taking this advice. Just something to think about.

___1___

[/ QUOTE ]

___1___ is absolutely right. Lucky for me I was always loosey-goosey in the blinds, I just had to learn to play them right (e.g., learn when to bluff at the flop and when to back off. Combination of flop texture and the players you're up against, of course.)

And in response to another poster -- complete 97o after one limper? In a heartbeat. There's not even a discussion worth having on that one.

EDIT: Apparently, I've already chimed in . . . thought this was a new thread, but apparently not [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].
Old 08-10-2005, 10:30 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: Sample Size

I've discussed this with people before because everyone always thinks it's a leak because it's a big ugly red numer. I agree it's not worth much, but it can't be completely worthless, because most people have close to the same number. it's usually about +/- 25% from -.15 so I see where you're going.

but also,t he -.15 number, that's per hand right? so that's 15 per 100? so a SD of around 2 is small, no?
Old 08-10-2005, 10:33 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: I\'ll just chime in to say that

the only way to really judge these things is to just do your best to amke good decisions. as we get better and learn more, most of our decisions will improve, which in turn will make every aspect of our games better. as good poker players, I trust the two of you, not because of yoru numbers, but beacuse you feel this is the right decision.

implied odds against idiots... it costs you 1/4 of the size of the bets that you'll be making on the turn if you have a big hand
Old 08-10-2005, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've played 84k hands at 10/20 6max and I would not recommend these suggestions for 10/20. I learned that fairly quickly...

[/ QUOTE ]
Can you elaborate a litte?

I played pretty loose in the SB at 5/10 and did well. I've been struggling at 10/20. Maybe this is part of it.

Do you played tighter because BB is more likely to raise since the game is more aggressive? Or is it because your opponents generally play better, so trashy hands become unprofitable?

It seems counterintuitive because you're getting more favorable immediate odds due to the blind structure.