Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 11:24 AM

Default Leadership

I've noticed a lot of racial comments in the forum, and it prompted me to do a search. Blacks have in many ways segregated themselves by supporting and endorsing racial "leaders". One of the problems (much like in the Islamic community) is that I haven't heard their leaders step forward with an outright condemnation of the behavior in New Orleans. That would help a lot.

I went to Jesse Jacksons site and couldn't find any fundraising for New Orleans victims (or even a mention of). The rest of the site is all about fundraising (for Jesse).
Old 09-02-2005, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Leadership

Why should Jesse Jackson do this? why should "condemnation of the behavior in New Orleans" be a racial issue?
Old 09-02-2005, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've noticed a lot of racial comments in the forum, and it prompted me to do a search. Blacks have in many ways segregated themselves by supporting and endorsing racial "leaders". One of the problems (much like in the Islamic community) is that I haven't heard their leaders step forward with an outright condemnation of the behavior in New Orleans. That would help a lot.

I went to Jesse Jacksons site and couldn't find any fundraising for New Orleans victims (or even a mention of). The rest of the site is all about fundraising (for Jesse).

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.nola.com/newsflash/louisiana/index.ssf?/base/news-18/1125623640148840.xml&storylist=louisiana

I assume you're white, Sheetwise. Many people accuse rich, white Americans of standing idly by when the world has problems. One of the problems (of the rich white community) is that I haven't seen alot of them stop what they're doing in their everyday lives, hop on a plane, and get a little dirty helping their countrymen when they need it most. That would help alot.

Will you be leaving the safe confines of the space behind your computer and join Jesse Jackson in New Orleans, Sheetwise?

Be sure to let us know how it goes when you get there.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why should "condemnation of the behavior in New Orleans" by a racial issue?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because if the leadership of the black community is aware that prejudices and racism exist, and they believe that the stereotypes are unfounded (as I do), then they should recognize that the 24/7 streaming video is a PR problem - and they might want to correct it.

Consider the recent case of Pat Robertson, who frequently acts as if he represents the entire Christian world -- when he said something stupid, virtually all Christian leaders stood up and said "This is not who we are", "This is not what we believe ..."
Old 09-02-2005, 12:01 PM

The racial comments I'm seeing are not prompted by the fact that people are in trouble, or have lost hope. It is the gangs, the looting, the rapes, etc.

Here's Jesses comments from the link you sent -
[ QUOTE ]
"I want them to know help is on the way and to keep their hope alive," Jackson said in Baton Rouge before leaving for the 70-mile trip.

Planning to stay for about six days in Louisiana, Jackson chided media reports that focused on looting and violence, saying the reports portrayed people as animals and adding he wasn't afraid to go into New Orleans.

"We're going to New Orleans today without a security guard," he said. "We trust people."

[/ QUOTE ]

He seems to be condemning the media coverage and not the looting and violence. Why would he be afraid to go into New Orleans? Will he condemn the behavior, ask it to stop, and then go in to help stop it?
Old 09-02-2005, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because if the leadership of the black community is aware that prejudices and racism exist, and they believe that the stereotypes are unfounded (as I do), then they should recognize that the 24/7 streaming video is a PR problem - and they might want to correct it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only racists see it as a racial problem.

Most people see it as a socioeconomic problem.

Say it with me: so·ci·o·ec·o·nom·ic ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ss--k-nmk, -k-, -sh-)
adj.
Of or involving both social and economic factors.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Blacks have in many ways segregated themselves by supporting and endorsing racial "leaders".

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF are you talking about?
Old 09-02-2005, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well then, it all makes sense now. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are racists.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:10 PM

Your OP criticized black leaders (like Jesse Jackson) for their inactivity:

[ QUOTE ]
I went to Jesse Jacksons site and couldn't find any fundraising for New Orleans victims (or even a mention of).

[/ QUOTE ]

- yet here we have evidence that black leaders (like Jesse Jackson) are going to New Orleans to help.

Care to reconsider?
Old 09-02-2005, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well then, it all makes sense now. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are racists.

[/ QUOTE ]

So every time we see a Jeffrey Dahmer, or white gay bashers killing someone, or a Tim McVeigh, white leaders should view this as a PR problem?
Closed Thread