Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 04:54 PM

Default A hand for discussion

This is a key hand in my last tournament. I am still very much a beginner to large field tournaments.

Hand Background:
$10 Stars, 1900+ entrants
22 player left, I am in 4th overall chip position

I have been the table bully for approx. the last 3 hours. In this time nobody has stood up to any bet/raise I have made.

SB has been quite agressive, and very willing to gamble it up with any two cards. He recently played a huge pot, calling another big stack's all-in with only K 10 suited (vs. AK). He won that pot, hitting a 10 on the flop.

He had complained just minutes before that he hadn't seen me show down a hand since he had been at the table. (True..my last showdown was over 3 hours before.)

He has also raised from the SB *every* time it was folded to him.

Level 17 (6000/12000 600 ante)
Table '10967095 99' Seat #7 is the button
Seat 1: Bazarian (104652 in chips)
Seat 2: KKrAAAzy88s (156572 in chips)
Seat 4: 4runner01 (36180 in chips)
Seat 5: Bet Sports (96495 in chips)
Seat 6: TasteRed (140948 in chips)
Seat 7: AAsnake88 (315452 in chips)
Seat 8: GIVEIT2UGOOD (325792 in chips)
Seat 9: HERO (192382 in chips)
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Jerboa [Qs 2h]
Bazarian: folds
KKrAAAzy88s: folds
4runner01: folds
Bet Sports: folds
TasteRed: folds
AAsnake88: folds
GIVEIT2UGOOD: raises 12000 to 24000
Jerboa: calls 12000
*** FLOP *** [3s 5h Qh]
GIVEIT2UGOOD: checks
Jerboa: bets 30000
GIVEIT2UGOOD: calls 30000
*** TURN *** [3s 5h Qh] [6s]
GIVEIT2UGOOD: checks
Jerboa: bets 137782 and is all-in

Here is what I was thinking:
Preflop: I should just let him have this one, but Q-high might actually be best right now, and I wanted to defend. His looseness, though, meant he might call me down with any A-x. So I just called to see about a steal on the flop.

Flop: I hit top pair, and his check meant either I was good or he was slow-playing AA,KK, or a better Q. (But his history made this very unlikely)...bet 3/4 the pot or so to see if he is serious about this hand.

Turn: Hmm..what could he have? The 6 could have filled a wierd straight..right now I'm putting him on either A-small(A5, A3), a smaller pocket pair (88-99). I'm fairly certain that my Queen is good. I should probably have checked this one down, but if my Queen is good, I'm probably a big favorite here. I actally felt that if he had any pair he would call my all-in as a huge dog..thinking I was just trying to bluff him off the hand.

Was my play reasonable? Too aggressive? Should I have just let him steal my BB here?

I'll post results later. Thanks.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:31 PM

Default Re: A hand for discussion

I like it, I still don't know what he's checking on flop though, maybe A4h? he then gets a oesd a fd maybe?
Old 08-16-2005, 06:13 PM

Default Re: A hand for discussion

I probably would have folded pre-flop because playing with the big stacks is generally a no-no if you don't have a legit holding. I do understand where you are coming from and why you chose to play the hand though. Considering his stack and the way the hand was played thus far I beleive you check the river as he could push over the top with any two. It's not as much the read as it is just general tourney strategy.