Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 06:52 PM

Default Re: Where would a 14 year old boy want to go with his father?

[ QUOTE ]
My canadian thoughts so far were Vancouver, with a trip to whistler and maybe a whale watching trip,

[/ QUOTE ]

Do this some of the trip, then...

[ QUOTE ]
But my older boy is tougher to understand for me. His primary interest is music, he plays a mean guitar,

[/ QUOTE ]
Hop it down to Seattle and take him around the awesome local music scene there. I'm sure a few other 2p2ers can further expand on what's good in the Seattle area or the internet can aid you.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:53 PM

no, people are different and sometimes finding a connection/common ground is not easy, even if it is family.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:57 PM

No, you're pretty much being a dick.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Best answer so far, and I guess I know that. It's probably why I'm looking to do this, I wouldn't have any trouble finding something to do with any of my other 3 kids. My eldest would love NYC, broadway plays and museums. My younger boy it's sports. But my older boy is tougher to understand for me. His primary interest is music, he plays a mean guitar, and I thought about the rock and roll hall of fame in CLeveland, but I'm not sure what we'd do after half a day there.

[/ QUOTE ]

going to the rock HOF then cedar point would work, or King's Island, or both since they are kinda close in Ohio. That'd work for a 3 day trip or so. Honestly, I'd ask him, tell him you want to do something like this and float a couple ideas. I know my family events worked a looooooot better when the parents discussed the parameters with us before doing anything.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought about the rock and roll hall of fame in CLeveland, but I'm not sure what we'd do after half a day there.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you do it right, you can easily spend a whole day at the Rock hall just playing with the interactive multimedia exhibits (i.e., listening to interviews, songs, etc.).

I don't know when you're planning this, but the USAF Thunderbirds will be at the Cleveland Air Show (at Burke Lakefront Airport - right next to the Rock hall) over labor day weekend. It's pretty wild.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
not to be an [censored] or anything, but does anyone else find it disturbing that ther father doesn't know his son well enough to think of a wonderful father/son getaway, and instead is asking a bunch of pimply faced internet poker players for advice?

this is your answer though

[/ QUOTE ]

Get bent you prick.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:41 PM

If he is anything like me the correct responce is nothing, he would rather play video games and hang out with his friends.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:18 PM

Hmm, this may be a little off since he's only 14 and you said he's not a sports fan, but the best time I ever spent with just my dad was when we drove down to Duke (from PA) in sophomore year over Christmas break. I had always wanted to go there so we made an unofficial college visit, saw a basketball game from the student section (they wiped the floor with Davidson that night), and had a good time that weekend.

I don't know if any of that applies (I doubt it would have crossed my mind at 14), but maybe there's a place he's always wanted to go and never had the time with school and all.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:37 PM

I have no good ideas for your 14 year old.

However, if you are looking for a golfing trip with your 11 year old someday check out Myrtle Beach, SC. Since we always been a twosome we are usually hooked up with another twosome. And the amount of people from your area is proportionally very high which makes me believe there must be great packages available for people from your area.

Besides an abundance of golf courses to choose from there are always plenty of other activities that can keep you and your son busy when you are away from the course. Who knows, maybe your 14 year old will become interested after he sees how much fun Dad and his brother have.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:44 PM

Ask him. I bet he's got someplace in mind.

My guess is some monster amusement park somewhere. It would have been my first choice at age 14.