Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 04:46 PM

Default As a broke \"pro\" which game would you play...? (some stats)

As a "pro" which game would you play...? (some stats)

I've been playng for one year and 6-max has become my primary game. Its been like at least an hour since the last stats post so I figured I should contribute one. I've recently gotten tired of playing underrolled and dealing with stress of swings. I spent a lot of money recently on wedding stuff, a nice honeymoon, furniture, as well as ran bad at 30/60 a couple months ago and crippled my roll... I want to start treating poker like a "real job" where [hours = money] and get on with enjoying the other parts of my life. Please take a look at my situation outlined below and I would love to hear any advice you have for being a little more business-like in my poker playing.

My Situation:
1) 2800 in my roll currently
2) I have 15 hours a week I can play
3) I need to cashout 2k a month starting at the end of November (74 hours from now)

My experience and results thus far:

still a lot of pretty big leaks obvious

a few leaks patched--still some excessive calldown type of tilt showing at 10/20 due to playing high variance short handed games with scared money.

At this point I am looking to 4-6 table whatever limit I play. I find I tilt much less 6 tabling than 4 as I dont have time to think up stupid "moves" to try and pull and generally play more solid ABC poker. Not tilting is one of my new priorities.

3/6 6max would def be 6-8 tabling--6 is easy for me and I feel very comfortable and confident.

5/10 6max has traditionally been my nemesis but I feel confident that long term, with my new improved style of play I would be at least a 1BB/100 winner in the game.

I want stability and money but I want some intellectual challenge and sharpening of my skills to occur. I want my roll to grow and eventually do something more normal like 4 table 10/20 and 20/40 or 30/60. I also am liking the steps I have been taking to avoid tilt (keeping a log of feelings, stopping if I tilt, not pulling marathon dig myself out of a hole sessions.)

I feel like a loser bazillion tabling 3/6 but financially it seesm like it may be the smartest move at this point?

Any thoughts...?

Between now and the end of November I have 74 hours to play and these are the options I am looking at:
3/6:
-------------------------------------
500 hands per hour x 74 = 37k hands

at 2 BB/100 = $4400--smart choice?
at 3 BB/100 = $6600--aim for this
at 4 BB/100 = $8800

5/10:
-------------------------------------
500 hands per hour x 74 = 37k hands

at 1 BB/100 = $3700
at 1.5 BB/100 = $5550
at 2 BB/100 = $7400--try this for now until I run good or lose 100BB and skulk back to 3/6?
at 2.5 BB/100 = $9250
at 3 BB/100 = $11,100
Old 10-24-2005, 04:51 PM

Default Re: As a broke \"pro\" which game would you play...? (some stats)

With 2800 in your roll, as a "pro" with no other means of income, you are just barely have enough for 3/6 6 max, there is no way I would think about playing 5/10
Old 10-24-2005, 04:56 PM

I think you need to grind it out at the 3/6 this month. there is a significant risk you are going to start december with <$1000 if you play 5/10 or higher. If you run good, say get up to $5000 then move up.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:58 PM

Hey Climber,

Your needs outweigh the risk. 3/6 is your only answer, get those hands in. Move up to 5/10 when you hit 6k or so and don't have a pending cashout.

IMO risking any/all of what's left of your bankroll on higher stakes than that is financial suicide, plus it will wreak havoc on your mental health. Stay at 3/6 until you are rolled for 5/10. Rinse, repeat.

GL.

I'd also like to say that your WTSD stat is really high, but that doesn't make it bad. Mine jumped to almost 40 when I first moved up to 10/20, and it's been inching its way back down to the point where I think it'll be 32% again soon. However, you appear to have a much different playstyle than I do and I would suggest sticking with what works.

Surf
Old 10-24-2005, 05:01 PM

Leave Allston. The rent's too high for crappy living.

Stick with 3/6, since 4-6 tabling that game with your current roll is pretty risky. Move up when your roll can afford it. 5/10 would be suicide.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:02 PM

2800's barely enough to play 3/6 with a 'professional' roll imo.

Grind 3/6, maybe getting a job so your living doesn't suck your roll? (this is assuming you're independant and have to pay for insurance, food, shelter etc)
Old 10-24-2005, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2800's barely enough to play 3/6 with a 'professional' roll imo.

Grind 3/6, maybe getting a job so your living doesn't suck your roll? (this is assuming you're independant and have to pay for insurance, food, shelter etc)

[/ QUOTE ]
I second getting a job or playing more then 15 hours a week.
2 hours a day???? You can't manage 40 hours a week?
Old 10-24-2005, 05:19 PM

6 table 3/6. I would encourage you to 8 table. I've been 10 tabling 5/10 (6) and it's really doable. Play like 21/15 instead of 25/18 or whatever. Play for the RB. If you have only 15 hours a week, really concentrate on playing more tables. 3/6 sucks so it's perfect--you can do many tables and win well.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:44 PM

I didn't see anything about RB in your post, but that's obviously an important part of your income.

As others have said, swallow your pride and play 3/6. I play 10k/mo while working 55+ hours at a real job, so there's no excuse for you to get less than 20k/mo in, in which case you should have no problem hitting $2k/mo.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:51 PM

Something that's kind of unrelated, but just some good advice. You go to showdown a lot, and you seem to go to showdown even more in 10/20. It's aggressive, but not 43% WTSD aggressive. My guess is that you probably check too many turns.