Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2005, 06:48 PM

Default I grow increasingly frustrated with the fact that...

...one really bad session completely wipes out like... 10 previous winning sessions for me.

Is that the way it is for everyone? I earn around 5-10 BBs per winning sessions and then I find myself at a table where 8 people unconditionally call me down to the river and lose 30-40 BBs. Makes me very sad =/
Old 04-22-2005, 06:52 PM

Default Re: I grow increasingly frustrated with the fact that...

Having them call is great.

Losing a bunch of cash sucks.

Sorry bro, but it happens.

However, you can win 10x session in one session easier than you can lose it.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:57 PM

I feel like there's a limit to the positive aspect of multiple callers. I'll take 3 or 4, but how can I expect my aces to win win unimproved if the whole table is in the hand?
Old 04-22-2005, 07:00 PM

Looks like you're happy to bag small wins, and that you don't want to quit a loser, so that you keep playing when you're stuck. Is this correct?

If yes, The solution is easy. Don't quit every time you have made a small win. Keep playing when the game is good, and you will have more big winning sessions.

To avoid the when-to-quit problem alltogether, play for a fixed amount of time, say 2 hours per session and then take a break.

olavfo
Old 04-22-2005, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel like there's a limit to the positive aspect of multiple callers. I'll take 3 or 4, but how can I expect my aces to win win unimproved if the whole table is in the hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

thats how i feel, except im in a 6max game with 58o taking the pot from me with (Im not lying) an 8 on the turn and an 8 on the river.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This thinking is dead wrong, and is a fundamental misunderstanding among many beginning players. Go read the FAQ sticky immediately, and take specific note of this quote:

[ QUOTE ]
How do I deal with all these loose players sucking out on me with terrible hands?
A common complaint is that the players are so bad that it actually prevents you from making money. New players often feel that if they could just go to a game where opponents "played more reasonable hands", "respected my raises", and "didn't chase all the way to the river" they would make more money. This whole notion (to quote SSH) is absurd. Poker is a game where you profit from the mistakes of your opponents. If your opponents make more mistakes you will make more money. Loose, passive limit Holdem games are highly profitable for this reason. It is as simple as that. Focus on winning the most money, not the most pots.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-22-2005, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is that the way it is for everyone? I earn around 5-10 BBs per winning sessions and then I find myself at a table where 8 people unconditionally call me down to the river and lose 30-40 BBs. Makes me very sad =/

[/ QUOTE ]

Eventually, you're going to have a +75BB session and laugh at this post. All you need to do is change your attitude about variance.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks like you're happy to bag small wins, and that you don't want to quit a loser, so that you keep playing when you're stuck. Is this correct?

If yes, The solution is easy. Don't quit every time you have made a small win. Keep playing when the game is good, and you will have more big winning sessions.

To avoid the when-to-quit problem alltogether, play for a fixed amount of time, say 2 hours per session and then take a break.

olavfo

[/ QUOTE ]

You hit the nail on the head. I'll give your suggestion a try. The main reason I tend to quit while I'm ahead is mostly because I've lost my profits so many times before and kicked myself for not leaving sooner.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:15 PM

yeah, just remember to stay at the tables with the loosest/dumbest players. give it enough time and a lot of their chips will magically appear in your stack.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:34 PM

Some of the best advice I ever got was in Lee Jones' book quoting Sklansky. Essentially, there is nothing special about any one "session". If you decide to play poker seriously it's all one big session.

Also, bad players do in fact save you a tremendous amount of money. If you don't believe me, check this out.

Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG calls.

River: (8.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 12.75 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG has Ts Kc (straight, ace high).
Hero has Qc Qd (three of a kind, queens).
Outcome: UTG wins 12.75 BB. </font>