Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2005, 02:32 PM

Default Systematic Improvement process?

Hi,

As a fairly new player, I've decided to get a bit more structured in improving. I've been killing .5/1 the last 15k hands, and just moved up to 1/2.

I've read the key books a few times, and think I understand pretty well the concepts in ToP, SSH, and i'm starting in on HEfAP.

I'm probably pretty weak in reviewing my own play. I've been using PT since I started 25K hands ago. But besides tracking the key indicators I don't do much with the info.

What "post session" activities should I get in the habit of doing? People say to review your play, what exactly do they mean?

Also, a while back, I remember a thread by bisonbison (which I can't find) that said a good habit to get into was to call out several things at each hand

- your outs, full and discounted
- pot odds

I remember there being a great deal more to his post than this, if anyone knows what I'm talking about...

thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.
Regards,
Francis
Old 04-23-2005, 06:32 PM

Default Re: Systematic Improvement process?

Bump.

I'd also be very interested in hearing what the advanced guys do post session to improve their game.

olavfo
Old 04-23-2005, 09:05 PM

I review the hands I played in each session using PT , looking for mistakes I made, alternate strategies, missed bets, bad bets, and so on. I learn a lot when I can go over my hands away from the heat of battle.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:59 AM

Yes I would also like to hear how the pros review and evaulate their play to find leaks and make adjustments.

Everything I do is very high level and generic, I look at how I do with certain types of hands (Ax suited, middle pairs, suited connectors) etc.

I look also at the hands I lost the most BB's in and make sure I lost them for a reason (had a good hand lose to a great one, got sucked out on, etc.).