Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 09:57 PM

Default KQs pre flop cap?

MP in this hand is a total calling station. something like 70/13/1
CO is a TAG and 21/11/2+
BB is pretty loose pre flop and i haven't seen much from him

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>

yes?
Old 09-21-2005, 10:02 PM

Default Re: KQs pre flop cap?

You're not ahead of much...or anything.

just call.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:04 PM

Meh, this is a close call.

But keep this in mind: CO is only 11% PFR, and he's just 3-bet your raise (and you're UTG ... think about that from his perspective).

Although you certainly don't have the worst equity of the 4 players in this pot, I doubt you have any equity edge against CO.

Furthermore, given the above, you'd rather not end up heads up against CO. Instead, you'd want to welcome as many callers as possible with your great multi-way hand. Capping may push people out.

Thus, I think the better play is to simply call.

Adam
Old 09-21-2005, 10:13 PM

You've got a tighter TAG cold calling your UTG raise and a Loose player who doesn't raise enough preflop 3betting you...you're ahead of...nothing.

Better just to call, KQs doesn't have much showdown value and the CO is showing a LOT of strength.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You've got a tighter TAG cold calling your UTG raise and a Loose player who doesn't raise enough preflop 3betting you...you're ahead of...nothing.

Better just to call, KQs doesn't have much showdown value and the CO is showing a LOT of strength.

[/ QUOTE ]

you have the action a little wrong, but i get your point. the co is the tag and the one 3-betting me. not the loosie.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:56 PM

I'm a bit looser and more aggressive preflop than that TAG, and I don't 3 bet an UTG raiser with anything you're not totally dominated by except TT. Therefore, I don't like the cap.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:24 PM

Why are you capping a marginal hand OOP vs. a solid TAG player? Just call to keep it multiway and play some poker postflop.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:38 PM

well, no one's leaving. so it comes down to if you hit or not. since you made the other players unpredictable, there's nothing else to put logic on.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:38 PM

I've actually had questions about this too. Most of the time I KNOW one or two other idiots are coming along the ride for the cap, but I really dont think I'm ahead of the 3 better. I will get 3 betted by a 21/17(who gives me respect) when I have a hand like AJs or AQo. I really want to cap because I know idiots are coming, but is it +EV against a range I think im behind?
Old 09-22-2005, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've actually had questions about this too. Most of the time I KNOW one or two other idiots are coming along the ride for the cap, but I really dont think I'm ahead of the 3 better. I will get 3 betted by a 21/17(who gives me respect) when I have a hand like AJs or AQo. I really want to cap because I know idiots are coming, but is it +EV against a range I think im behind?

[/ QUOTE ]

that's exactly my question. it seemed close to me at the time but it doesn't sound like other people think it is.