Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 12:38 AM

Default I never know when to 3bet the turn with one pair

Is this a good time to do it? Or maybe call and donk the river?

Villian is 26/18/2.33 over just 40 hands.

Party Poker 20/40 Hold'em (5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, BB calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB folds, Hero???
Old 09-21-2005, 12:43 AM

Default Re: I never know when to 3bet the turn with one pair

I would 3-bet here. What the hell is he calling with PF then not raising the flop? J9? I think it's a semibluff or K9/A8 type hand almost always.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:50 AM

Flat calling with another player to act, but then raising the turn, still 3-way, is sufficiently scary to just call down, IMO.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Flat calling with another player to act, but then raising the turn, still 3-way, is sufficiently scary to just call down, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-21-2005, 12:58 AM

are KTs, 88, and QJ [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] all possibilities here?

i think i just like a call down.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. This seems more like weakness than strength to me. Why would a solid player slowplay on a flop like that? It looks more like he's trying to make a move or go for a free showdown along with knocking out BB.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. This seems more like weakness than strength to me. Why would a solid player slowplay on a flop like that? It looks more like he's trying to make a move or go for a free showdown along with knocking out BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm more inclined to believe he's not solid, because no solid players seem to float at 10/20, and his stats are only after 40 hands.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:38 AM

I don't think Top Pair 3rd Kicker is looking very good when you get raised on the turn, especially after you raised preflop and bet the flop. I don't ever three bet that unless I'm up against some kind of donktastic opponent.

That seven just completed a couple of straights and might have made two pair for someone playing connectors.

If Villian is overplaying an OESD just take the money he offered and let him do it again as many times as he wants. If you punish him brutally now, he probably won't do it again anyway, and you'd like him to continue this silly practice.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:47 AM

I 3bet this because I get turn raised/ turn checkraised by flush draws/ open-ended straight draws constantly in this game.

Then I go ahead and check the river and allow them the opportunity to bluff their missed draw (main reason being of course that sometimes I have the worst hand).
Old 09-21-2005, 04:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm more inclined to believe he's not solid, because no solid players seem to float at 10/20, and his stats are only after 40 hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the definition of "float"?

Thanks,
Cartman