Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2005, 05:30 AM

Default table selection questions

hey... i just moved from pokerstars to party poker... is there anything that tells you stuff such as players/flop? i used to use this alot at stars to determine which tables to play... if not what do the rest of you look at? or do u just jump on one and leave if it's not good? i play 1/2 if that chances anything...
thanks alot
Gerard
Old 03-25-2005, 05:53 AM

Default Re: table selection questions

anything?
Old 03-25-2005, 07:48 AM

I open up four tables with Gametime+ and let them datamine away for about half an hour. Then I pick the table with the biggest see flop % and the lowest PFR%.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:45 AM

Genius. Where do you get Gametime+?
Old 03-25-2005, 09:31 AM

From the pokertracker forum, (seperate website, I don't have the link at hand but you can easily find it with a search.) It's a free download.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:26 AM

As mentioned Gametime+ with Pokertracker helps. I open 4 party skins (16 tables) and observe hands for about 30 minutes. Then I filter:

1) VP$IP - I look for atleast 30% to join a waiting list. This is the single most indicative stat of good tables. This stat is much more useful than size of pot.

2) PFR% - Generally, I rather play at more passive tables at 1/2, unless the aggressive ones are really LAG's. Around 5% or less is good for me. Above 8% and I don't think about sitting (unless the previous mentioned reason).

3) Went to showdown% - This is an overlooked stat, but can be very helpful in table selection. If above 40%, this indicates that many players are going too far with marginal hands, an instant moneymaker. I prefer I high number here even more than a high VP. Note that sample size is more important here, so I don't consier this stat unless I have a good number of hands on a few players (since the averages are weighted in gametime, this is okay).

4) Number of known/certified fish - This should probably be #1 on this list. I have quite a few 50/4 type players with over 200 hands in my PT database now, these are the ones that contribute the most to my winrate. If I can find 2 or more such players at a table, I'll sit down even if the overall table is tight. I also mark these players in my buddy list for fast searching when I log-on.

5) Move tables when the game goes bad - This is something I've been doing more dilligently lately. Even If I've been winning, I don't hesittate to get up from a table if suddently I'm surrounded by a bunch of 15/7 players. And when you find a live table, do your bankroll a favor and don't get up.

That's about all I have to say for now. With Party's quantity of tables, and these strategies, finding good games should rarely be a problem (in the evenings atleast) at 1/2.