Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 12:29 PM

Default Getting money in the pot

Hello,

I am a semi-new player to large stack No-Limit Hold'em (after having some success at low stack play). I have a question that stems from reading Ed Miller's "Getting Started In Hold'em"

In the chapter named "Playing A Large Stack" on page 143, Tip #4 states "Don't shut your opponents out with large bets whenever you make a decent hand"

Basically, he states that you shouldn't try to win the pot immediately when you have a decent hand, even if there are threats on the board. An example he gives is you have pocket 3's([img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]) and the board comes Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
He goes on to say that at this point you should not be too concerned with the possible flush draw and try to get your opponents to put money into the pot.

However, when trying to implement this idea I have noticed that more often than not someone hits their flush draw (or straight draw).

My question for the forum is: How do you proceed when the card that makes a flush/straight appears on the turn or river and your opponent is representing that he has made his hand? In my experience, I'd say that the majority of the time when my opponents represent the hand, they actually have the hand.

I feel I am missing money making opportunities by going against Ed Miller's advice and taking the pot early, but also when I try to implement the advice but a scare card comes out. (Catch-22)

Any advice is appreciated,

FB
Old 10-06-2005, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Getting money in the pot

Give us an example where this happened, you are probably bettin too small, and giving your opponents odds. 3/4 to pot is standard for the aformentioned flop. Post a hand
Old 10-06-2005, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Basically, he states that you shouldn't try to win the pot immediately when you have a decent hand, even if there are threats on the board. An example he gives is you have pocket 3's(,) and the board comes Q 9 3.
He goes on to say that at this point you should not be too concerned with the possible flush draw and try to get your opponents to put money into the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

In general, I tend to disagree with this, but I think it depends some on your style of play and current table image.

I fire at a lot of flops, so I'm definately firing at this example. But I'm aggressive enough, that I will get action from hands that are completely dominated as well as draws. I'm betting more to start building a pot than to protect.

OTOH, if you've got a very tight image, then it might be okay to let someone try to push you out. But if they keep the pot small and the draw hits, you have to be prepared to let it go. Checking, letting the draw hit, and then getting busted is just awful.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:50 PM

I've never read the book but so I can't comment on what it suggests but I have no problem taking down a hand on the flop when I have mid-/ low- set and a flush/straight draw up there.

The previous post is most wise- make sure you don't bet too little and give the draws the right odds. Some people (myself sometimes I must admit) say "I'll call anyway, because I have implied odds here" whether they do or not. Nothing you can do if the draw calls despite your bet. I just look foward to the 4-5 times they don't hit the draw and curse a lot when they do. I also fold when I'm reasonably sure they do hit it, but I have also picked off a few moves in that spot. You have to know the person making the move. It's the only way I call here. I have to have some info to make me suspect he doesn't have it. Otherwise I get out.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:16 PM

I was at work when I posted, so I had no HH to share, but I will post a couple of examples when I get home.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:19 PM

i think somethings wrong with your thinking when you say the straight or flush comes more often than not..

just bet at hte pot. i think ed miller means dont push alll in when you have a set and theres a flush draw in fear of the flush.. just bet 1/2 to full pot .. and you will be giving them poor odds.