Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 03:32 PM

Default Misplayed?

I resisted the urge to raise... should I raise that turn?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, BB calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

River: (10.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, BB calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 18.25 BB
Old 07-08-2005, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Misplayed?

I would definitely raise the turn and usually fold to the river raise -- unless I think MP3 is bluff raising and BB is bluff calling (sure looks like one of them has a flush).
Old 07-08-2005, 03:42 PM

Raise the turn. What do you think BB has that is puts him ahead of you here? If he had 2Ks he should have raised PF, if 9s or Ks he probably bets or check/raises the flop. Plus the raise makes the flush draw (and the unlikely but possible straight draw) more expensive (either MP2 or MP3 is likely to be on some kind of draw). Curious to know what BB had...sounds like he'd be a good addition to your buddy list.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:49 PM

You must raise the turn. Protect your hand!!! Flush draws might come along but some will make a marginal fold with small flush draws there and, regardless, you might as well charge any backdoors. There are a bunch of live gutshots as well which you really don't want to see catch. In a multiway pot, you cannot afford to get cute here and look for overcalls. And don't worry about being behind. You are most likely way ahead on the turn.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:51 PM

I definitely didn't think I was behind on the turn. I think I was moving too fast and I got confused and tried to keep everyone around (which is dumb I know). My incorrect thought process was, the table has been folding to my aggression almost every time and I may not get paid on my set. I honestly didn't think my hand was in much danger (of course I was wrong), but even so I should probably raise for value here.

EDIT: Just read the reply, wasn't paying attention to the gutshot draws either. Your right the turn is a must raise (man did I goof here [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img])

Results in white: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has Kh Qh (two pair, kings and queens).
Hero has 5h 5s (three of a kind, fives).
MP2 has Kd Ad (one pair, kings).
MP3 has 7c Tc (flush, king high).
Outcome: MP3 wins 18.25 BB. </font>

MP3 CC with T7 suited for the winner [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]